Single Comb Blue Silkie?

Chicknewbie3

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2023
Kentucky
I got 2 silkies a while ago one (white) is 11 weeks old and the other one (blue) is about 9 weeks. The white one was hatched from my mom's backyard chickens and the blue one came from a hatchery that she ordered from and I got it from her.

The white one started crowing about a month ago, which I thought was pretty young, lol. So, that's Jack. I'm so confused about the blue one though. It's not crowed, but has made a weird screech sound. But the comb (single comb) and waddles on this chick are huge in my opinion. I'm attaching pictures, but any idea if this is a roo? I'm gonna be very sad if both of my silkies are males, lol

Attachments

• IMG_20231011_195805360~2.jpg
    IMG_20231011_195805360~2.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20231011_195828012~2.jpg
    IMG_20231011_195828012~2.jpg
    631.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20231011_195958363~2.jpg
    IMG_20231011_195958363~2.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20231011_195911608~2.jpg
    IMG_20231011_195911608~2.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 7
Thanks everyone. I figured they were, but wanted to hang on to a teeny bit of hope that the blue one was female. Once I saw those waddles coming in, I knew it was over, lol.

Any one know how they should act when older? They are growing up together, but I have 6 pullets they were going to be joining soon. I'm just not sure how'd they'd do together with the girls. I can put them in a separate space if I need to. I'm not trying to breed, I just got them as pets because I love the look of silkies. Should I make a bachelor pad for these two?

Thanks everyone. I figured they were, but wanted to hang on to a teeny bit of hope that the blue one was female. Once I saw those waddles coming in, I knew it was over, lol.

Any one know how they should act when older? They are growing up together, but I have 6 pullets they were going to be joining soon. I'm just not sure how'd they'd do together with the girls. I can put them in a separate space if I need to. I'm not trying to breed, I just got them as pets because I love the look of silkies. Should I make a bachelor pad for these two?
With only 6 girls, you'll have problems with over mating, and probably fighting for them too.
Soon, their hormones will start raging and they'll be terrorizing the girls and stressing them out. Also be aware they could go after you possibly.
So soon enough it would be best to separate them.

With only 6 girls, you'll have problems with over mating, and probably fighting for them too.
Soon, their hormones will start raging and they'll be terrorizing the girls and stressing them out. Also be aware they could go after you possibly.
So soon enough it would be best to separate them.
They are so attached to each other right now. I can't hold one without the other one giving a danger call, lol. That's why I wondered about just getting a separate pen for these two away from the ladies. This is my first go with chickens, and I thought I only had one rooster for a long time, so now I'm hustling to do research. These guys are purely pets, but again, I'm still learning.

They are so attached to each other right now. I can't hold one without the other one giving a danger call, lol. That's why I wondered about just getting a separate pen for these two away from the ladies. This is my first go with chickens, and I thought I only had one rooster for a long time, so now I'm hustling to do research. These guys are purely pets, but again, I'm still learning.
Good luck with them!

Back
Top Bottom