Single gosling - is there some way to co-raise it?

Ganspaar

Chirping
Aug 30, 2021
Hi everyone! It's been an unadventurous while with no news...but now I have a " new to me" issue.

Despite my best efforts at birth control, my pair of Embdens hatched two eggs on Saturday.

I found one gosling dead yesterday. It looks like it was stepped on.

Just now I found the remaining gosling on it's back. It also looks like it was stepped on. I think it will be okay though.

I have it in the house at the moment. Not sure what to do. I don't want to raise it. Even if I could I don't think it's a good idea.

I was thinking of taking it back to mom and dad when I close the coop for the night.

Then what? Separate it for the day? Leave it with mom and dad and let nature take it's course?

The parents aren't aggressive and looked like they were doing a good job. I also know they raised a clutch before we got them, so this isn't their first go at it. Not sure what's up.

Thanks. That's my first inclination too, but it was more upsetting than it should have been, when I found the other baby dead yesterday. 😔

Well...this one had a long nap in the cardboard box and then obviously wanted out. So I took him back to his folks...

...and got a nice big bruise from the gander for my troubles!

Fingers crossed they watch where they're stepping.

I am sorry! :hugs
Thank you!

I didn't want more geese, but once the goslings arrived, we went and cleaned everything up for them, and got things set up so they'd be good to go!

And...it didn't work out...I am sadder than I should be!

Back
Top Bottom