Skin condition or molting?

GreenCreekHaven

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2023
I have a flock of just 4 hens and only one of them (a barred rock almost 1 year old) has something going on with the skin on her lower breast/underside. She is not exhibiting signs of brooding and we can't tell that she's plucking her own feathers out. Since it's one specific bald spot on her, I'm not assuming it's molting, but she has irritation and redness on the skin. I don't see lice or mites on her and again, the other hens show no signs of irritated skin. I've attached a picture. Any thoughts or help please?

Attachments

• 20240305_134039.jpg
    20240305_134039.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 34
It doesn't resemble molting; my best guess would be that another chicken is pecking your hen, but I'm not sure since they usually don't pluck feathers from the breast. Could be a disease from how clean the bald area is...

Does she roost normally? Check her feet and legs for any signs of injury or bumblefoot, that can cause them to roost improperly and rest their keel on the roost, causing rubbing and irritation, which can develop into a breast blister. A breast blister is like bumblefoot, but on the breast or keel. It can also happen if they are not roosting at all but instead sleeping on the ground or in nest boxes, especially if they are sleeping in wet or dirty bedding. Sometimes heavy birds will roost that way just because they are heavy. In those cases it can help to pad the roost to help prevent the irritation, use something they can't pull or peck pieces off of and eat. An old bath towel can work. I would just clean the area on her keel with some chlorhexidine (hibiclens- any pharmacy) and apply a little dab of triple antibiotic ointment to that irritated area daily until it clears up. The feathers may not regrow until she molts. And try to rectify whatever the roosting issue is.

Does she roost normally? Check her feet and legs for any signs of injury or bumblefoot, that can cause them to roost improperly and rest their keel on the roost, causing rubbing and irritation, which can develop into a breast blister. A breast blister is like bumblefoot, but on the breast or keel. It can also happen if they are not roosting at all but instead sleeping on the ground or in nest boxes, especially if they are sleeping in wet or dirty bedding. Sometimes heavy birds will roost that way just because they are heavy. In those cases it can help to pad the roost to help prevent the irritation, use something they can't pull or peck pieces off of and eat. An old bath towel can work. I would just clean the area on her keel with some chlorhexidine (hibiclens- any pharmacy) and apply a little dab of triple antibiotic ointment to that irritated area daily until it clears up. The feathers may not regrow until she molts. And try to rectify whatever the roosting issue is.
Thank you for the detailed response and ideas!! She does roost at night with the other 3 in the coop. She appears to be walking around just fine but I know chickens can be good at hiding injury. I will double check her feet and legs. I will pay close attention to how she's sitting on the roost the next few nights. She is our heaviest girl so what you're saying makes a lot of sense. I noticed yesterday when she sits in our laps, she'll lean over to one side but that might be because of that irritation causing her pain.

Back
Top Bottom