Skin growth on pekin duckling head

Jksocal

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2020
There is a funny little skin growth on my pekin’s head - he’s just one week old. Has a feather sticking out that I tried to pluck gently then noticed the bump. Any ideas/experience? Google isn’t helping me.
Thank you!

Attachments

• D442BB81-9149-4CFF-A285-F037297B9568.jpeg
    D442BB81-9149-4CFF-A285-F037297B9568.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 29
I do not know for sure, but a good guess may assume emerging feathers inferior to the epidermal is creating outward expansion of the skin cells. If soft, one might assume a localized abscess. Regardless of the etiology, one should intimately monitor the area for growth, or abnormal signs.
Seems to be growing rather quickly. It is quite firm, and flesh colored. I guess I will just wait and watch to make sure it doesn’t get irritated or infected. Thank you!

The lump got larger and longer really quickly - I plucked the feathers out of it in the hopes it might drain. Anyway, the whole thing came off this evening! I dissected it (sorry gross but I wanted to see what it was) and it appears to be a feather cyst. There were the beginnings of lots of little feathers in there!
The spot is fairly normal looking now. Just like an enlarged pore. I put meds on it but hopefully that will be that. Fingers crossed!

The lump got larger and longer really quickly - I plucked the feathers out of it in the hopes it might drain. Anyway, the whole thing came off this evening! I dissected it (sorry gross but I wanted to see what it was) and it appears to be a feather cyst. There were the beginnings of lots of little feathers in there!
The spot is fairly normal looking now. Just like an enlarged pore. I put meds on it but hopefully that will be that. Fingers crossed!
That's disgusting, poor little ducky. Good thing you did what you did since it was getting larger, I have never seen anything like this in my chicks, and I have had ducklings. Not sure if it could happen to the chickens but I will keep and eye out. Good luck with him

Back
Top Bottom