Skinny Speckled Sussex, Currently On Antibiotics. How to Help Her Out?

BuddingGardener

Songster
Apr 18, 2022
New Jersey
Hi everyone! I have a 1-year-old Speckled Sussex hen who has always been very chatty and vigorous, and much more excited about foraging than she ever was about her feed (she started growing faster once she was moved outside as a chick due to the foraging time she got every day). A few weeks ago she went intensely broody, and we are unable to let her hatch chicks, so we broke her broodiness using cool water bottles under her breast for part of a day. This seemed to do the trick, and she acted like her chatty, goofy, normal self for about a week.

A few days ago she, VERY suddenly, got lethargic and refused food/foraging time. I took her to an exotic vet who did a full workup and xrays on her, and there was nothing really obviously alarming except a bit of inflammation in her lungs -- which is strange because she has not been wheezing. No eggs on the way (just some forming egg yolk follicles), no soft shell eggs inside of her, no internal laying. She was placed on anti-inflammatories and a course of antibiotics, and since then, I've placed her in the 'sick' pen and coop on her own where she can still see her flockmates.

They also found that she was underweight, which I'm at a loss for. I'm not sure if she's always been underweight (these are my first chickens and I am not 100% sure how a 'healthy' vs 'skinny' breast should feel on a chicken), but there are multiple feeders in my run and we are currently using a local feed mill's 19% protein pellets mixed in 50/50 with the last of our Purina Layena crumbles (16%). Could being broody for a short time have put her underweight, or was she carrying an illness for awhile to cause this?

She is acting much better on her meds and foraging in her run space as usual, but still doesn't eat as much feed as I'd like her to eat. It's only been 2 days so I'm trying to be patient, but I'm concerned about monitoring her intake for the foreseeable future. When we isolated her to a dog crate for one day while we were setting up our 'sick' bay, she was absolutely miserable and preferred yelling at us to actually eating a reasonable amount of food, so confining her further is not an option imo.

Should I treat her more? It's not exactly balanced but if she's skinny, I want to make sure she puts on weight. I used to treat my chickens with a few tablespoons of chopped vegetables every day, but stopped that and reduced to once per week when one of my Easter Eggers developed laying issues (she ended up being an internal layer and passed away so that's a moot point now). Should I just keep everything stable until her med course is finished? Perhaps her appetite will spike a bit more when she's feeling even better? I'd love to hear some advice from other chicken keepers who have seen this before.

My speckled sussex is one of my favorites and as yours she is a foraging monster. SS are kind, compassionate and just wonderful, but they are also stubborn when they want what they want. Mine was overweight. I went with mealworms and shredded cheese and as much as she wanted. She also loves watermelon. As you can see by my profile pic, she is just the right weight now.

My speckled sussex is one of my favorites and as yours she is a foraging monster. SS are kind, compassionate and just wonderful, but they are also stubborn when they want what they want. Mine was overweight. I went with mealworms and shredded cheese and as much as she wanted. She also loves watermelon. As you can see by my profile pic, she is just the right weight now.
Isn't that right! I love her dearly, she's got such a fun personality and definitely stands her ground when she wants something (or doesn't want something). When she was acting lethargic all at once I called around to find an exotic vet that was open and would see her that night. I'm glad I did, because the antibiotics seem to be helping tremendously. Very pleased with how thoughtful and deliberate my vet was with her.

Also, she totally tipped over her feeder this evening and found her feed much more scrumptious when she could scratch and peck it off the ground. Whatever works for her, I guess....??? :lol: I'll start weighing her regularly once her treatment is over to make sure she's gaining a little.

7kMhz9ErpS7ujY4JoaSsqQ.jpg

2fIp8ttLTGWAe8tQjNb34J.jpg

56IoFDjcfwbYD2OFUtHkjs.jpg

the antibiotics will mess with her gut microbiome (they do not distinguish between good and bad bacteria etc but kill everything - except the ones that have developed antimicrobial resistance), so once she's finished the course I'd offer her some plain natural yogurt and a little fermented something if you have it (e.g. kimchi), to repopulate her gut with some friendly bacteria and other microbes and get her gut working properly again.

the antibiotics will mess with her gut microbiome (they do not distinguish between good and bad bacteria etc but kill everything - except the ones that have developed antimicrobial resistance), so once she's finished the course I'd offer her some plain natural yogurt and a little fermented something if you have it (e.g. kimchi), to repopulate her gut with some friendly bacteria and other microbes and get her gut working properly again.
Thank you! We also have Rooster Booster vitamins/electrolytes and probiotics to mix into her water when she finishes her course. She actually laid a perfectly nice egg today that we had to throw out, which we were happy to see as another sign that she's improving. Yay!

That works also. Also, most people don't notice this but some grits have probiotics in them. I can't get my SS Lucy to eat yogurt.

Isn't that right! I love her dearly, she's got such a fun personality and definitely stands her ground when she wants something (or doesn't want something). When she was acting lethargic all at once I called around to find an exotic vet that was open and would see her that night. I'm glad I did, because the antibiotics seem to be helping tremendously. Very pleased with how thoughtful and deliberate my vet was with her.

Also, she totally tipped over her feeder this evening and found her feed much more scrumptious when she could scratch and peck it off the ground. Whatever works for her, I guess....??? :lol: I'll start weighing her regularly once her treatment is over to make sure she's gaining a little.

7kMhz9ErpS7ujY4JoaSsqQ.jpg

2fIp8ttLTGWAe8tQjNb34J.jpg

56IoFDjcfwbYD2OFUtHkjs.jpg
She is so beautiful. Are they great fun chickens? Mine is out in the rain right now while everyone else is in.

Update: The vet checked her out at a follow-up and told me she doesn't actually feel underweight. She's lean but not underweight. Yay! We got the all clear to let her back in with her flock. She's still getting antibiotics for one more week before she's through, but she's been laying an egg a day and is back to her chipper self.

And yes, @triciayoung, she is great fun, very curious and adventuresome. She would be out foraging all day digging pits in the yard if we let her!

Back
Top Bottom