Hen_House04

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2023
Hey there!
So I have a couple Olive Eggers and a couple Barred Rocks and for some reason one of my Olive Eggers will not lay an egg one day and then lay two eggs the next day. She’s been pretty consistent the past week with skipping and then laying double. They will soon be one and this is their first winter. What may be causing this?? She acts fine, so I’m not too worried. Just kinda crazy! TIA!

Picture in comments so it doesn’t get lost! 🐔

Attachments

• 59B4B4E9-754B-4B9D-9BFF-6CE1A9153EF2.jpeg
    59B4B4E9-754B-4B9D-9BFF-6CE1A9153EF2.jpeg
    873.2 KB · Views: 19
Wow! Could she be laying the egg that was "in the works" from the day before (but didn't get laid before "bedtime" and stayed within while she slept) in the early morning, then laying that day's egg late afternoon? Very unusual to have that happen repeatedly...Skip a day, then lay two.

I recall reading that an egg takes ~25 hours to develop, move through a hen's system, then get laid. So she lags behind laying one egg, then "speed-lays" the next one?

Glad she seems to be fine, acting normal despite her odd egg cycle! I'll be curious to read people's replies if their hens have ever done this (more than once).

Back
Top Bottom