Sleeping arrangements

Apparently born that way. My friend who had her first tried splinting with no luck. We have her now so she can get more care and attention and not be with a large flock where she was vulnerable to being picked on. She is 18 weeks now. I rather suspect that if she grows much more she will lose more mobility and it will be time. In the meantime she scratches around the yard, has her cuddle times ( she adores my daughter 😊)and gets to be a chicken as best as she is able. It will be a sad day when she has her 4:30 vet appointment 😢
So what you are saying is that she probably will never walk.

Hop yes,walk on 2 legs no. She gets herself to where she wants to b, though. Thus the close attention to quality of life.

Hop yes,walk on 2 legs no. She gets herself to where she wants to b, though. Thus the close attention to quality of life.
Just wondering if she could get "better". I had a WLH that got her leg caught in a wire dog cage. And she couldn't walk on it at first. Got both the foot and leg. But within a week and half she was getting on the roost at night. And she made a remarkable recovery. Chickens are tough . Good luck your bird is lucky to have you taking care of her. You are doing a good job keep it up.

Thanks. We try. It’s all about keeping the perspective to monitor quality of life and not letting the heart block good judgment. 😳

I would say, flatten your ramp out a bit, and add another section of ramp to that one. It might be tight in that run... but it might just work. She might do better with a different coop... but thats a whole different mess. (one thats not as high as the omlet or even closer to ground level, so the ramps up wouldn't have to be that steep) That way you could pad the floor with straw and definitely make it more comfy for her throughout the winter. But, move the whole coop and run to where the weather wouldn't directly hit them, a more protected area, and she should be comfy.

Back
Top Bottom