Small Coop Roost advice

JulieCB

Chirping
May 20, 2020
Central Virginia
New chicken enthusiast, currently building run and preparing coop and I'm looking for some advice. I've read dozens of posts on the subject of providing roosts in a small coop but I have a very specific question I'm hoping someone will tackle. We can easily place two roosts at about 6 inches off the floor of the coop (this is measured without any bedding in place so it will be less than 6") or with more difficulty at 12 inches above floor level. (The entire coop is elevated about 3 feet above ground level). Is there enough significant difference between these two heights to make it worth the extra effort to go for the higher one? Many thanks.

There is no significance difference, chickens just wants to be on an elevated platform...... be it 6 inches or 12 inches (roost, ladies... I'm talking roost). It has something to do with how they are in the wild, or used to be at least, and how they would seek branches in the trees to sleep the night away for less possible chances of getting eaten.

Hi, welcome to the forum. Glad you joined.

The critical thing about roost height is that the roosts need to be higher than anything you do not want them sleeping in or in. Usually that is the nests but it might apply to other things. They poop a lot at night and you do not want poopy eggs.

I don't know how the rest of your coop is laid out so I don't know know if it is worth raising your roosts.

Back
Top Bottom