Small infected sore on hen’s chest

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
During a nail trim, I noticed a piece of flaky skin on the chest of my 16 month old Blue Rock hen. It came off easily, but underneath was a small, infected, sore (or more like a small hole). I squeezed it and got some chunky infection out. I don’t believe the sore was fresh- Id say it’s been there a few days at least. I don’t see any other marks on her. Yesterday I noticed her comb was a little pale, but I chalked it up to the heat. Today her comb looks normal. Otherwise everything about her is normal.

The sore seems to sit on her breastbone. So I’m thinking maybe my roo mated her and she was on something sharp like a stick or rock. Then got it infected while dust bathing or she laid in poop. I don’t think it’s serious, but wanted to make sure it didn’t look like anything more sinister to those with more experienced eyes. (I always go worst case scenario first so I was afraid of roundworm or some infectious skin disease- please tell me it’s nothing like that)! I did look at 2 other hens’ skin and did not see any lesions or sores.

It’s on a weird place that I don’t think I can really dress. And she can reach it, so anything I put in it she could potentially peck at. My plan is just to keep an eye on it, but am open to other suggestions for something safe I could apply to it.

The pics look worse than it is, because I was having trouble holding her and it was too dark when I turned toward the shade and too bright in the sun. So I went with too bright, but it makes it look bloody. It was not bloody nor actively bleeding. I will include 2 zoomed in pics in the comments.

Attachments

• IMG_0409.jpeg
    IMG_0409.jpeg
    586.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0408.jpeg
    IMG_0408.jpeg
    651 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0411.jpeg
    IMG_0411.jpeg
    402.4 KB · Views: 5
It sounds like a breast blister that has become an abscess.Continue cleaning it and use Betadine or Neosporin on it daily. Those happen when pressure is on the breast bone on a roost, or on damp bedding on the floor. Does she lie around a lot? Have any trouble walking or getting up to the roost?

It sounds like a breast blister that has become an abscess.Continue cleaning it and use Betadine or Neosporin on it daily. Those happen when pressure is on the breast bone on a roost, or on damp bedding on the floor. Does she lie around a lot? Have any trouble walking or getting up to the roost?
She does not lay around, in fact she’s one of my more active girls. Is it like a pressure sore? I’ll have to check tonight and see if she rests her breastbone on the board when roosting. I’ll keep cleaning it and keep an eye on it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom