Smaller breed that will still lay a nice amount of eggs.

Based on my research, being that I have two daughters who want chickens that look like they are straight out of a Dr. Seuss book, is that the fluffy ornamental chickens are poor layers. There are some pretty small sized chickens like Campine, Spitzhauben, colored Leghorns, and some more that I’m forgetting right now that would produce well for you.

Thanks for that info. I guess that won’t be my breed then. I would like to have some eggs. Not too many is ok. But practically nothing is pretty bad. We do eat the eggs.

Silkies won't give you the eggs you want plus they go broody at the drop of the hat. X2 legorns. Hamburgs and brabanters have been good small bodied layers for me too.
Thanks. I might check out the Brabant breed. They do look cute too.

Leghorn and leghorn based birds are small bodied and productive.....Whiting true blue, Whiting true green, legbars, etc
Thanks. Someone mentioned Brabant to me and now you mention leghorn. Checking it out. Thanks to all the ladies coming with suggestions.

My Easter egged is small bodied, but if you want decent eggs then maybe try mottled houdans. They aren’t bantam size but smaller than LF. I have a mix of bantams, LF and ducks. My only concern would be a large rooster with smaller birds.

My Easter egged is small bodied, but if you want decent eggs then maybe try mottled houdans. They aren’t bantam size but smaller than LF. I have a mix of bantams, LF and ducks. My only concern would be a large rooster with smaller birds.
Yes. I do have a large rooster at the moment. So do you believe I should wait until he’s passed away? He’s the only young one I have. So that can take a long time. (LOL) and he’s very sweet too. Not a cuddler, but he has never attacked anyone in his life and you can walk right by him. He just gets out of the way. Now I’m all confused. Heehee. Well, I guess I’ll just have to do with a young rooster, some old chickens and few eggs. I will just get them over to the newer smaller coop on the porch then. Give them a heating pad in their roosting area and give them a nice old day safe from predators. Aww, I would have loved so much to have a flock with young smaller chickens. Oh well. To ALL you chicken ladies: Thank you so much for your time and efforts. I hereby officially shut down my search for smaller chickens.

i would recommend Sicilian Buttercups. They have an interesting comb and are great layers of small white eggs. Not bantam small, but like small in store eggs. I really enjoyed having mine. They are relatively easy to sex at a younger age as well which comes in handy if you hatch some out and only want to keep the pullets. They are fairly uncommon as well.

IMG_5548.JPG
Sicilian Buttercup Flock.jpg
Sicilian Buttercup Hens.jpg
Sicilian Buttercup Pair 1.jpg
Sicilian Buttercups.jpg

Back
Top Bottom