Snakes

clturke

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
I am completely new to raising chickens. I have 6 chicks ages 2 weeks to 6 weeks. I have been keeping them in my house and building a coop in my backyard. I let them out in a fenced area during the day for fresh air and to peck around in the grass. I walked out yesterday to check on them and saw 2 long black snakes slithering towards them, I chased the snakes away but now I'm afraid to put them in the yard. How big do the chicks have to be before the snakes won't be able to get them? I can't keep them in my house forever besides they love going outside. Will snakes kill a full grown chicken. The snakes were about an inch thick and and at least 3 ft long probably black racers.

It depends on the size of the snake and the size of the chicken. Black snakes will definitely eat eggs and chicks. Black snakes generally don't get to the size that they can eat a full grown large fowl, but full grown bantams can be at risk. Rat snakes and black snakes are probably the two that are the most common danger.

I can't give you a definite answer. There are just too many variables to say when they are safe. I can say you are right to be concerned.

I had a rat snake eat a chick recently. Found the snake with the chick sized lump in his middle, preventing him from getting back out of the coop.

The chick was 1-2 weeks, and the snake was maybe 18" or 20" long and no bigger around than my index finger.

Back
Top Bottom