So now a new bunch of questions about the brooder box, etc....

Rainbows Chicks

Chirping
7 Years
May 4, 2012
New Brunswick, Canada
So I've got my two little chicks in the "brooder box" now, which is just a rubbermaid container with an old baby towel in the bottom, some wood shavings and, of course, their food, water and the heat lamp above. Does it matter, too much, about measuring the temperature under the heat lamp? I put the thermometer, that I had been using in the bator, under the lamp just before I moved the chicks into the box, but I had to remove it because I think it was too hot...the screen was going all black. As far as I can tell, it was reading (if it was, in fact, reading accurately) upwards of 115 F. I moved the lamp a bit higher off of the box but I'm still concerned with whether it's too hot or not warm enough etc. They seem to be "basking" under it, so I would assume they would get up and move if it was too hot...but can anyone reassure me that this is true (that they would move if it was too hot)? Also, I had read that someone else put a little stuffy in their box, in case they wanted to snuggle in underneath... so, I did that too, but now I'm left wondering about that choice, for when I go home tonight... If they did happen to crawl in underneath, they would be able to get out, right? Also, I wondered if the stuffy being in there might just end up giving them an object to climb up high enough to end up falling out of the box...?
I've posted a couple pics below to help give you an idea of what I've done so you can better judge how to answer my questions... As you can see, the sides of the box aren't very high...are they high enough for now? or should I get a taller container? If they are high enough, for now, how long do you think I'd have before I'll need to get a way taller crate or actually enclose all sides/top?

Generally they will move to a spot that they like as far as temp goes. If they are never under it and seem to be on the outer edges then it is probably to hot. If they are huddled under it then it is probably to cold. Trust your gut and go by what the chicks are doing. I would guess that the height of your rubbermaid would be fine for up to a week at most, you just don't want to find one that got out and can't get back in to the heat, they get cold pretty fast.

Here is what I do then I don't have to worry all night and I brood upwards of 100 chicks each week. I use regular 65 wt light bulbs in the reflectors instead of the brooder bulbs. The brooder bulbs get too hot. Then I will set the reflector down to where it is just almost touching the bedding. They will snuggle to it if cold and move away if hot, and they wont have to move very far because the bulb doesn't throw alot of heat. Then you dont have to worry about the bulb being so hot that you burn your house down too. You can clamp the reflector to the side of the plastic tub and position it at the height you want.

Lanae

Back
Top Bottom