Soft shell/ white discharge

Deezer

Chirping
Sep 9, 2020
Please help, our White Leghorn (3.5 years old) has laid two eggs without a hard shell (membrane and yolk only). She seems strained when she has to lay. Epsom salt bath gets it moving and she’s back to normal as soon as the egg “passes”. White discharge we think is an infection, been giving her amoxicillin starting today. This has been an issue in the past. Any recommendations? We do have a vet that treated her for a reproductive tract infection last year around this time.

3 1/2 years old. Diet - Layena chicken feed has been her brand. Some kitchen scraps, fish.

Please help, our White Leghorn (3.5 years old) has laid two eggs without a hard shell (membrane and yolk only). She seems strained when she has to lay. Epsom salt bath gets it moving and she’s back to normal as soon as the egg “passes”. White discharge we think is an infection, been giving her amoxicillin starting today. This has been an issue in the past. Any recommendations? We do have a vet that treated her for a reproductive tract infection last year around this time.
Do you have photos of her poop?

You notice a white discharge after she's expelled the egg - is the "egg" intact when she passes it or is it broken - the contents of the egg spill out along with a membrane?

If you have a photo of the discharge that may be helpful as well.

Good move on starting the Amoxicillin. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days.

I'd also be giving her 1 Calcium Citrate with D3 tablet once daily for 5 days to see if that helps with the shell quality.

She had a reproductive tract infection last year - was it Salpingitis/Lash egg or what was the infection?
Also, just curious, with her age, has she been laying or is she just now starting to come back into lay after a winter break?

Do you have photos of her poop?

You notice a white discharge after she's expelled the egg - is the "egg" intact when she passes it or is it broken - the contents of the egg spill out along with a membrane?

If you have a photo of the discharge that may be helpful as well.

Good move on starting the Amoxicillin. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days.

I'd also be giving her 1 Calcium Citrate with D3 tablet once daily for 5 days to see if that helps with the shell quality.

She had a reproductive tract infection last year - was it Salpingitis/Lash egg or what was the infection?
Also, just curious, with her age, has she been laying or is she just now starting to come back into lay after a winter break?
The discharge is before, during and after. It’s strange because this only occurs of the day she lays. I don’t have photos but it’s identical to last year’s issue. It was Salpingitis. With her age she now lays once every other day or two.

The discharge is before, during and after. It’s strange because this only occurs of the day she lays. I don’t have photos but it’s identical to last year’s issue. It was Salpingitis. With her age she now lays once every other day or two.
But is the soft shelled egg intact or does it come out in pieces?

If she has Salpingitis, then likely this is the cause of the discharge. Hopefully the medication will help with the infection once again, but there's no cure for the condition so you may find as she ages, the condition will progress even further and she'll have chronic troubles.

I'd still give the Amoxcillin and extra Calcium, see if those make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom