Soil management where steers walk

QChickieMama

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 1, 2011
I raise 2 steers every other year. The area between their stall and the pasture gets muddy which creates a problem in delivering a bale of hay to the middle of the pasture. The soil there is maybe a 50'x15' area, and they pee and poop and walk around in this space, creating an area where the grass won't grow. They punch deep holes in the mud with their feet which then fill with rain or snow and take forever to dry out. I worry about the steers walking in this area when the ground is frozen. They could scrape or cut their legs on the ice.

What to do with the ground? We've put in a load of pebble gravel which disappeared in about a year. In the summer, half the area will grow grass. In the winter, when we need the hay bale in the pasture, this area is not passable with a pickup truck.

What would you do?

Is there a reason the steers need access to this space once they're turned out into the pasture? You can always keep them out by placing cattle panels across the alleyway. Otherwise you might try locating some recycled, heavy duty, conveyor belts to lay down. This company has a few locations in the U.S. with huge varieties of interesting recycled materials. Check to see if there's a location near you. https://www.repurposedmaterialsinc.com

Can you reconfigure their summer pasture so they don't spend a lot of time there? Hot wire making varied paths, rotational grazing, and/or a movable run-in shed would all be helpful.
The limiting factor is water tank placement, especially in winter, when it needs to be fairly close to the hydrant.
Mary

Is there a reason the steers need access to this space once they're turned out into the pasture? You can always keep them out by placing cattle panels across the alleyway. Otherwise you might try locating some recycled, heavy duty, conveyor belts to lay down. This company has a few locations in the U.S. with huge varieties of interesting recycled materials. Check to see if there's a location near you. https://www.repurposedmaterialsinc.com
Their salt block is sheltered in this area, and their only run-in stall access is through here. I feed them grain in their stall 2x/day. If the weather's severe, they do go in the stall for a while.

Can you reconfigure their summer pasture so they don't spend a lot of time there? Hot wire making varied paths, rotational grazing, and/or a movable run-in shed would all be helpful.
The limiting factor is water tank placement, especially in winter, when it needs to be fairly close to the hydrant.
Mary
Yes! Actually I moved their trough just yesterday when it dawned on me that was part of the problem. It's around the corner, on high ground, and still has hose access.

In NC winter, is it OK for them not to have shelter?

Horses do worse; they run and play more, and trash small areas really well. in winter ours are in a field that we call the 'winter sacrifice field' because it has nothing left but dirt and pock marked muck. Any place would fall apart like this in winter here!
Mary

Horses do worse; they run and play more, and trash small areas really well. in winter ours are in a field that we call the 'winter sacrifice field' because it has nothing left but dirt and pock marked muck. Any place would fall apart like this in winter here!
Mary
We don't have horses now but when we did, the steers still seemed to ruin the ground with more skill! Their hooves punch in 18" down in the mud and that's going to last a long time.

My solution to this is going to be to get the e-fence fixed on our alternate pasture where we have run-ins and the land has been untouched for 2 years--no mud!

Back
Top Bottom