Solar Electric Fence for bear deterrent

RojoMarz

Crowing
May 21, 2020
Southern CO...at 8600 ft
Our main predators are bears and we understand it's very hard to bear proof. We are planning an electric fence around the coop/run. Anyone have suggestions for a solar electric fence charger that has sufficient joules for a bear or ? The Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks recommend "for deterring bears in developed areas, your energizer will require a minimum Joule rating of: 0.7-1.0 Stored Joules or 0.5-0.7 Output Joules."

Don't know if it's the industry standard, but I hear this one is popular in bear country.....will repel all boarders!

https://parmakusa.com/product/magnum-solar-pak-12/

I use the same 12 volt fencer......not solar......and it runs about $120. But add the battery and charger and they about break even.

If you have an household AC power handy, the plug in version may be less expensive yet.....and equally effective.

Other places to look for fence chargers (aside from the usual suspects like TSC) are Premier 1 and Kencove......both are online retailers.

Other local farm and home stores will sell different brands, like Zareba and Gallagher, plus others most of us have never heard of. Like as not, most all of them will work.

Do not skimp on the juice. You want this fence to test out to at least 7,000 volts. I like mine running hotter. The Parmak fencers produce this.....and yes, that is X1,000.

efence volts.jpg

Patriot p30 gives 3.0 output joules. I run this charger and it’ll deter them (I have hives. It turns bears away). While it’s dual voltage 110ac as well as 12volt, it is not self contained. You’ll need a deep cell battery as well as a 20-30 watt solar panel.

Don't know if it's the industry standard, but I hear this one is popular in bear country.....will repel all boarders!

https://parmakusa.com/product/magnum-solar-pak-12/

I use the same 12 volt fencer......not solar......and it runs about $120. But add the battery and charger and they about break even.

If you have an household AC power handy, the plug in version may be less expensive yet.....and equally effective.

Thanks. I have been seeing that Parmak 12 constantly is mentioned in the research I've been doing.

Other places to look for fence chargers (aside from the usual suspects like TSC) are Premier 1 and Kencove......both are online retailers.

Other local farm and home stores will sell different brands, like Zareba and Gallagher, plus others most of us have never heard of. Like as not, most all of them will work.

Do not skimp on the juice. You want this fence to test out to at least 7,000 volts. I like mine running hotter. The Parmak fencers produce this.....and yes, that is X1,000.

View attachment 2217228

Thank you. Juice is good... I have already found Kencove and will look at Premier 1.

Patriot p30 gives 3.0 output joules. I run this charger and it’ll deter them (I have hives. It turns bears away). While it’s dual voltage 110ac as well as 12volt, it is not self contained. You’ll need a deep cell battery as well as a 20-30 watt solar panel.

Will look into this one. We have an off grid cabin, so are familiar with panels and deep cell batteries.

Back
Top Bottom