Solution for keeping 5 gallon waterer unfrozen

Theeix

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 9, 2013
I have a 5 gallon bucket with the watering nipple installed on the bottom inside my coop. It's been less then 20 degrees the past week in the day time so I've had to change the water 2 to 3 time a day!
So I went to petsmart and got the smallest aquarium heater they carry, a 7.5 watt for about $13. I wrapped a piece of copper wire around it to keep it about 1in off the bottom.
It works! The top gets iced over still but the nipples don't freeze.
Just thought I'd share this for anyone who is going through the same problems I had.

I've heard of the bird bath and aquarium heaters. Good to know they work. A heated bucket with nipples drilled into it works well too! that's what we do here. :)

my problem is the nipples drip, then that freezes into stalagmites.... how do you keep them from dripping ??

I have yet to figure out how to stop the excess water that they peck out but don't drink from freezing underneath. We tried keeping a drip tray from a flower pot under the waterer and just emptying that for a while. Now, we just go out with a blow torch every day or 2 and melt the ice down.

I think that you have either a height problem or an installation problem if you are getting leaks or drips from nipples. Going on 6 years watering with nipples and never any problems. The nipples need to be above their heads so they reach up and the water goes directly down their throats.

Look in my signature line for a link to my 5 gallon heated waterer. This is what I've been using this winter. It's been at least 3 solid weeks under 32 degrees (for the highs) and this has worked great!

Very easy to make heated waterer for winter:
http://goo.gl/j50hYW

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom