Solution for wet coop?

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Okay. So I have been using deep bedding in the coop, which has worked well until... the roof blew off in a storm and now everything is soaked. I'm trying to clean out all the wet pine flakes, but struggling to find the best solution of how to get them out and dispose of them.

We don't have a compost bin or pile. The bedding is wet, so it's HEAVY. I filled a 40gal contractor bag, which didn't even make a dent, and now I can't even lift it to take it to the dump. It's soaking wet, so I don't think I can burn it.

What else can I do? I have a 10x12 coop, and taking approximately a 2x2 foot square back down to the dirt filled up that bag, and darn near killed me. I can't do that 60 more times 😭😭

I would try a 40# bag of horse bedding pellets in an area and see what that does. We use that in our coop and brooders and it absorbs everything and turns to sawdust. Wet sawdust would be much lighter to haul out.

It's cheap to try. You can get those at any farm store for around $8/bag.

I would try a 40# bag of horse bedding pellets in an area and see what that does. We use that in our coop and brooders and it absorbs everything and turns to sawdust. Wet sawdust would be much lighter to haul out.

It's cheap to try. You can get those at any farm store for around $8/bag.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Hesitant to add more stuff to scoop out, but if it makes it lighter then maybe it won't feel like so much work lol

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Hesitant to add more stuff to scoop out, but if it makes it lighter then maybe it won't feel like so much work lol
That was my thought as now you're hauling out MORE stuff, yet, it'll make the deep litter lighter. You might have to do it in layers to get the first layer that's light off, then put down more pellets.

I would just try part of the entire area first just to make sure it's worth it. I think it would be!

Back
Top Bottom