Some basic rooster questions

affacat

Crowing
12 Years
May 21, 2011
Oregon (Northwest, Clackamas County)
We have 3 roos, 2 from the pound, 1 raised from chick.

One from the pound is great all around.
One from the pound is kinda goofy, he's very small and likes to put up a good show around humans but rarely does anything actually annoying.

The biggest we raised ourselves (with 15 ladies in a stock tank) and now that he's a young adult he has become sometimes aggressive. By this, I mean he will be friendly and follow us around, pecking food, but if we make a sudden move (gardening, whatever) and a ladies goes aflutter, he gets aggressive. My kids are now afraid to go outside and play. Any ideas?

Also, we housed one pound rooster with 8 older ladies, and that is his flock.

The other pound rooster came with 2 ladies and that is his flock.

The home grown has his 15 ladies as his flock, but this is too many and some seem to get lost from him during the day.

Is there a strategy to get the 2 hen rooster to bring some of the other ladies to his flock? We have only had him about a week or two.

We have 3 roos, 2 from the pound, 1 raised from chick.

One from the pound is great all around.
One from the pound is kinda goofy, he's very small and likes to put up a good show around humans but rarely does anything actually annoying.

The biggest we raised ourselves (with 15 ladies in a stock tank) and now that he's a young adult he has become sometimes aggressive. By this, I mean he will be friendly and follow us around, pecking food, but if we make a sudden move (gardening, whatever) and a ladies goes aflutter, he gets aggressive. My kids are now afraid to go outside and play. Any ideas?

Also, we housed one pound rooster with 8 older ladies, and that is his flock.

The other pound rooster came with 2 ladies and that is his flock.

The home grown has his 15 ladies as his flock, but this is too many and some seem to get lost from him during the day.

Is there a strategy to get the 2 hen rooster to bring some of the other ladies to his flock? We have only had him about a week or two.
There are some basic rooster answers in this article.
What is difficult perhaps is working out how close your keeping arrangements are to mine. Some of the article is valid for most roosters; other parts are keeping arrangement dependant.
Hopefully there is something in here that will help you out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

Roosters don't share hens very well, so I'm not sure adding more hens would help. You could take some of the lower rank ladies from the big flock and seperaye them to the 2 hen flock for a few days but I think that would start a fight.
I would honestly get rid of the one that your kids are afraid of

he has become sometimes aggressive....My kids are now afraid to go outside and play. Any ideas?
I strongly recommend a fence.
Either fence an area for the kids to play safely, or fence an area to contain the chickens.

(Butchering the rooster is also an option, but that only solves the issue of this specific rooster. A fence works equally well for any number of roosters, now and in the future.)

Roosters don't share hens very well, so I'm not sure adding more hens would help. You could take some of the lower rank ladies from the big flock and seperaye them to the 2 hen flock for a few days but I think that would start a fight.
I would honestly get rid of the one that your kids are afraid of

This was our answer. The rooster attacked pretty much everyone but me (and my little daughter, thankfully), and would leave significant bruises.

He made for a tough stew.

Our two remaining roosters are sweet to us. The smaller one is a perfect rooster, nice to his ladies, breaks up fights, finds food, etc. The larger one seems more selfish and whatnot (steals worms from the ladies, even), but is nice enough to us.

I think we need a 3rd, but perhaps one of the broody hens will provide us that.

Back
Top Bottom