Some of my hens stopped laying

suzfleeg

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2019
Hello!

Some of my hens have stopped laying and I was hoping y'all could help me figure out why. I live in Texas and the current climate is pretty mild- not too hot or cold. They all have access to a half an acre to free range. They get free access to an organic layer feed plus I give them soldier fly larva every day as a snack and there is oyster grit available. Their coop is cleaned weekly and their run is kept clean and dry.

My golden laced wyandotte and my two welsummers are the ones that aren't laying and haven't laid in over a month and are around 8 months old. There is one rooster who is a silkie and not much good at his job lol.

Here is the feed they get:
https://www.newcountryorganics.com/layer-feed-corn-free-soy-free-50-pounds.html

Thank you!

Most pullets will lay all thru their first winter, some will not.
Wy's and Wellies are not stellar layers.
Short days affect some birds more than other.

Free ranging could be the issue.
Might want to check butts.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then maybe confine them for awhile.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Most pullets will lay all thru their first winter, some will not.
Wy's and Wellies are not stellar layers.
Short days affect some birds more than other.

Free ranging could be the issue.
Might want to check butts.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then maybe confine them for awhile.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
I know they have laid in the past and we've gotten some eggs from them so I know they are ready to lay. I can add some false eggs to the coop- I had taken them out before because our silkie kept trying to hatch them lol.

I was thinking it might be an issue with food or stress maybe?

Once they started to free range, they stopped laying altogether. I found a few places in the past where they would lay but I haven't found any in a while so I don't think they have a secret nest somewhere.

Once they started to free range, they stopped laying altogether. I found a few places in the past where they would lay but I haven't found any in a while so I don't think they have a secret nest somewhere.
I'd stop ranging them for a good two weeks.
Read my post above.

Back
Top Bottom