Some respiratory issues...

cherrynberry

🍒❤️🐓🐐🐕🐖🐈
Aug 2, 2020
California
Previously, my family got two leghorns that were free and were not in very good condition. the rest of the chickens we bought. A few days ago, I noticed that they were spitting out mucus which is a sign of respiratory illness. I separated them immediately and put them on apple cider vinegar water. Lately, they are not having many symptoms however one of them is sneezing quite often...is this a major illness or thing to watch for? She typically sneezes when she is eating or drinking. Some of the chicks that we have are also getting this trait because we accidentally separated the leghorns late. -Thanks!

Last edited:
The apple cider vinegar is a wives tail and will not help this issue. As the flock was already exposed and some are showing symptoms, you are probably going to have to let this run its course through all of them. Might write down which bird is sneezing and which one is not. Might prove useful to know later on.

Unless you are going to go with antibiotics, the best thing is to keep them comfortable, good plain food, a fresh water. If the leghorns are already picking up, it might just be a cold like.
Or you could be in for a wreck.

Good luck,

Mrs K

The apple cider vinegar is a wives tail and will not help this issue. As the flock was already exposed and some are showing symptoms, you are probably going to have to let this run its course through all of them. Might write down which bird is sneezing and which one is not. Might prove useful to know later on.

Unless you are going to go with antibiotics, the best thing is to keep them comfortable, good plain food, a fresh water. If the leghorns are already picking up, it might just be a cold like.
Or you could be in for a wreck.

Good luck,

Mrs K
Is it normal for it to just go away? Could it have just not been respitory disease? It’s been a year and no sneezing/wheezing in the flock at all...

Back
Top Bottom