Something is killing my chickens

JaciAlyssa

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2021
For the past 2-3 months, any time a hen sits on eggs, there's no problem until the week that the eggs are due to hatch. It's then that I'll go out to see empty eggs scattered about. A small crack but the eggs are completely cleaned out. Or the eggs will hatch and one by one the chicks will go missing until there's none left. This week, I put a crate with three chicks in my pig barn. The chicks are 2-3 months old and I was getting ready to integrate them in with the flock but this morning I went out and only one chick is in the pen, headless. I can't find the other two but there are bits and pieces scattered about. I am sick and tired of finding dead chicks everywhere. I have a camera in my goat pen, and the egg that was eaten last night was in the pen with the goats, but I can see nothing on camera. It's like it all happens on the same night, like some animal will just come back and feast on my chicks. What could it be?

For the past 2-3 months, any time a hen sits on eggs, there's no problem until the week that the eggs are due to hatch. It's then that I'll go out to see empty eggs scattered about. A small crack but the eggs are completely cleaned out. Or the eggs will hatch and one by one the chicks will go missing until there's none left. This week, I put a crate with three chicks in my pig barn. The chicks are 2-3 months old and I was getting ready to integrate them in with the flock but this morning I went out and only one chick is in the pen, headless. I can't find the other two but there are bits and pieces scattered about. I am sick and tired of finding dead chicks everywhere. I have a camera in my goat pen, and the egg that was eaten last night was in the pen with the goats, but I can see nothing on camera. It's like it all happens on the same night, like some animal will just come back and feast on my chicks. What could it be?
Is your chicken coop predator proof? If it is, it should not be hard to make sure nothing gets in...

Where are you located? What does your setup look like. Pictures would help. It could be a number of things but I would guess possible skunk or weasel.
This is in South Georgia. We do have weasels and skunks. And all of my barns are opened. My coop has wooden fence walls but the top is opened and they fly in and out freely. Not an ideal set up, I know. But this is my parent's home and they won't do any work on the barns.

This is in South Georgia. We do have weasels and skunks. And all of my barns are opened. My coop has wooden fence walls but the top is opened and they fly in and out freely. Not an ideal set up, I know. But this is my parent's home and they won't do any work on the barns.
Could you try to get a small area for the chickens that is predator proof? How many chickens do you have? How large is the barn you are talking about?

If you aren't going to be able to keep them safe, this will keep happening. You will need to either decide if you can accept the loses, or not keep chickens.

Rather than have your parents work on the barn, can you save the funds needed to create safe housing?

Back
Top Bottom