Sorting out aggressive rooster issues.

HHHomestead

Hatching
Sep 10, 2023
Hello everyone! Long time lurker, brand new member and first post.

Bert is a ISA Brown Roo. We have always had a good relationship....until very recently. He's about 2 years old to the best of our guesses. We are making progress using the method I learned watching my Great Grandfather when I was very young and it seems to be working. I am documenting this as much as possible to hopefully help some others and hopefully gain some valuable feedback from others who have been through this before.

Welcome HockadayHoosier! I'm looking forward to following your progress with Bert and the flock, and that's a great video! I also watched the one where he knocked the GoPro out of your hands, the little *&%$#*@%*. What breed is he?

I'm dealing with a hopefully 'formerly' aggressive cockerel, about 28 weeks old. Like you said, they don't deal with stress well, and I think he was stressed being in too small a space for roosting. Attacked me every morning, and if I got too close during the day. I moved him and the girls into a bigger coop several days ago, and *presto* --- no more aggression.
Yet.
Fingers crossed.

Anyway, welcome to BYC! Glad to have you with us.

Welcome HockadayHoosier! I'm looking forward to following your progress with Bert and the flock, and that's a great video! I also watched the one where he knocked the GoPro out of your hands, the little *&%$#*@%*. What breed is he?

I'm dealing with a hopefully 'formerly' aggressive cockerel, about 28 weeks old. Like you said, they don't deal with stress well, and I think he was stressed being in too small a space for roosting. Attacked me every morning, and if I got too close during the day. I moved him and the girls into a bigger coop several days ago, and *presto* --- no more aggression.
Yet.
Fingers crossed.

Anyway, welcome to BYC! Glad to have you with us.
Thanks for the warm welcome, BC! Glad to finally be participating instead of lurking in the shadows :)

He is a ISA Brown. I was unfamiliar with this breed until I found his previous owner trying to rehome him on FB and I just fell in love with his colors. I really can't complain a lot. He does his job. I just want him to let me do mine...hahaha

Good luck with your progress! I'm curious to see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Hello everyone! Long time lurker, brand new member and first post.

Bert is a ISA Brown Roo. We have always had a good relationship....until very recently. He's about 2 years old to the best of our guesses. We are making progress using the method I learned watching my Great Grandfather when I was very young and it seems to be working. I am documenting this as much as possible to hopefully help some others and hopefully gain some valuable feedback from others who have been through this before.

Welcome to BYC HHomestead.
I can see you're trying to come to some kind of working arrangement with your rooster, who by the way seems pretty laid back compared to some. You might find this article helpfull.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

Welcome to the roost. I really liked your video. I think it is a wonderful, informative video! I just started in April of this year. I had 3 cockerels out of 5 Easter Eggers. I adored them. Unfortunately, I am not allowed roosters in my zone. The one in my profile pic is Arrow. He was 8.5 lbs at 15 weeks and he was alpha. He started biting me when I went to the smaller chick cage and the chicks would fuss. He was great with other two cockerels and pullets, he was usually great with me. I actually started getting afraid of going to the other chick cage in the run. One day he got me good, and I took the advice I got on here. I pinned him down and put his head on the ground. (I didn't hurt him, just pinned him) After a couple of minutes he submitted, and I picked him up and carried him around and pet him and spoke softly to him. After I put him down, I went and sat near the chick cage, he came over and sat at my feet and put his head on my shoe. He didn't bite me anymore, just checked on the chicks when they would fuss and pace back and forth until I was done and go and sit outside the cage. We were blessed to find a wonderful home for all three on a farm. They are thriving and very happy.

Welcome to BYC HHomestead.
I can see you're trying to come to some kind of working arrangement with your rooster, who by the way seems pretty laid back compared to some. You might find this article helpfull.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/
Wow! This is really, really in depth and I feel like I just learned quite a bit, not only on things that I am definitely doing wrong..but things that I can do to help things become more harmonious. Thank you so much!

Welcome to the roost. I really liked your video. I think it is a wonderful, informative video! I just started in April of this year. I had 3 cockerels out of 5 Easter Eggers. I adored them. Unfortunately, I am not allowed roosters in my zone. The one in my profile pic is Arrow. He was 8.5 lbs at 15 weeks and he was alpha. He started biting me when I went to the smaller chick cage and the chicks would fuss. He was great with other two cockerels and pullets, he was usually great with me. I actually started getting afraid of going to the other chick cage in the run. One day he got me good, and I took the advice I got on here. I pinned him down and put his head on the ground. (I didn't hurt him, just pinned him) After a couple of minutes he submitted, and I picked him up and carried him around and pet him and spoke softly to him. After I put him down, I went and sat near the chick cage, he came over and sat at my feet and put his head on my shoe. He didn't bite me anymore, just checked on the chicks when they would fuss and pace back and forth until I was done and go and sit outside the cage. We were blessed to find a wonderful home for all three on a farm. They are thriving and very happy.
I'm glad you were able to find them a home. I really want to have a good relationship with Bert, and I can already tell that it's going to be a lot of work. I just learned a lot from the article that Shadrach shared that I'm going to work into my routine. Hopefully within a month or so I will have some experiences to share that are helpful.

Back
Top Bottom