Sour crop/coccidiosis -- is it time to go to the vet?

FL_chick

Chirping
May 12, 2021
My sweet Little hasn't gotten any better overnight. She still can't keep water down (has her Corid medication in it for the coccidiosis) and I've tried to feed her miconazole for the sour crop, but she's just not interested. Her crop is more swollen this morning than it was last night. I'm considering taking her to the vet, but not sure what they'll be able to do or if they'll be able to help. Does anyone have experience with taking their girls in? If so, how did it turn out? Should I just keep trying at home?

Is she pooping at all?

Sometimes to treat for Sour Crop you need to syringe the cream into them. I draw the cream up into a small syringe, then direct dose it.

If she's not drinking, then she's not getting the Corid. Syringe the Corid water into her several times a day.
I think I would also give her a direct dose of Corid in addition to the Corid water. Give her .10ml per pound of weight Liquid Corid undiluted once a day for 3 days.

How old is she? Laying eggs or no?

Here's some help with giving medications orally https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Is she pooping at all?

Sometimes to treat for Sour Crop you need to syringe the cream into them. I draw the cream up into a small syringe, then direct dose it.

If she's not drinking, then she's not getting the Corid. Syringe the Corid water into her several times a day.
I think I would also give her a direct dose of Corid in addition to the Corid water. Give her .10ml per pound of weight Liquid Corid undiluted once a day for 3 days.

How old is she? Laying eggs or no?

Here's some help with giving medications orally https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
Thank you so much for replying - it means a lot.

She is s pooping, but it's not solid, which makes sense since she isn't eating (I've tried several different things and she's not interested in any of it).

I tried to syringe the meds into her mouth but I couldn't get her to open it and was scared of stressing her out too much, but I'll read your article and try again today.

She's drinking, but I'm not sure how much is actually staying down. I'll try a direct dosage.

She's only 18.5 weeks and hasn't laid any eggs yet.

This was her yesterday evening (not sure any pics will help, but who knows)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210826-072824_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210826-072824_Gallery.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 5
I know it can be a challenge to get medications into them at times.
I like to stand the bird on a table. She can stand and so can I. I drape an arm over her and pull her to my body - this way you can wedge her in with that arm - you still have use of the hand/fingers of the hand draped over. Use that hand to control the head. Pull down on her wattles to open her beak, then administer the meds with the other hand.
They do sometimes twist, fuss and want to squawk, especially more nervous birds will do this. Just be patient, gentle, but firm.

First few times is a bit intimidating, but you'll get the hang of it.

I like to stand the bird on a table. She can stand and so can I. I drape an arm over her and pull her to my body - this way you can wedge her in with that arm - you still have use of the hand/fingers of the hand draped over. Use that hand to control the head. Pull down on her wattles to open her beak, then administer the meds with the other hand.
They do sometimes twist, fuss and want to squawk, especially more nervous birds will do this. Just be patient, gentle, but firm.

My husband was home this morning and helped me after reading your post/article and I'm happy to report that we got a dose of the cream into her!!!!

I'm finally feeling some relief.

Hopefully she will too and will start eating and keeping her water down.

Thank you so, so much for your help and support!!

So she's made such a turnaround since we got the meds in her!! She's eating and keeping all her food and water down, which is a huge improvement and will thankfully allow me to sneak her meds in her food now lol!! She's also more alert and chatty 😊

I can't thank you enough!!

So she's made such a turnaround since we got the meds in her!! She's eating and keeping all her food and water down, which is a huge improvement and will thankfully allow me to sneak her meds in her food now lol!! She's also more alert and chatty 😊

I can't thank you enough!!
Glad to hear she's doing better.

I would definitely finish the treatment for the full 7 days.
Hopefully she continues to improve!

Back
Top Bottom