Sour Crop

KsCoKsGirl

Chirping
Oct 3, 2021
Dorrance, KS
Sorry I am a new chicken mom. I pullet has a impacted crop/sour crop. There is a really hard spot at the top of the crop (so hard I thought it was a bone) but the lower part is squishy. I have been trying garlic water and the bottom is getting better at least it is not as big but the top part I can't get it to do anything. Should I try oil (I have coconut and canola). Called the vet but she is out sick this week but they suggested mineral. I have her separated for a day. I brought her in the house this morning because it was going to get cold and the cage I had her in wouldn't protect her from the winds that picked up. It is hard to get the water in her. She doesn't like to be picked up or get near me, so I am not sure how long this has been going on. She hasn't laid an egg in I think at least 2 weeks.

When are you checking the crop?
Checking first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink is the best way to check crop function.

Is she lethargic? Not eating or drinking? Is this why you brought her in?
Is she pooping? What's that like?

It won't hurt to give her a teaspoon of coconut oil twice day.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

The crop sort of sits behind the clavicle, so you may be feeling bone? Can the lump be manipulated at all, like it's a ball of food, grass, straw, etc. ?
Just trying to clarify what you are feeling.
1642653464550.jpeg

1642653494737.jpeg

Photo references. https://www.renderhub.com/ajaxsuz/chicken-skeleton-and-organs

I have been checking it first thing in the morning and during the day. It isn't really changing. I can manipulate the bottom, it feels like maybe some seed in the bottom. This gets squishy when I manipulate it. There is a hard lump at the top that I try to manipulate top to bottom or side to side that I can not manipulate at all.
I do have water in with her but I am not really seeing her drinking anything. I have not been seeing her eat but she has not had access to food for the last 2 days.
I noticed her chest was so large, so I caught her and brought her in. She is pooping, a lot less but it is not liquid at all.
It may not matter but she is a black Ameraucana and hasn't laid any eggs since before Christmas.

If she's not drinking, then you need to encourage her or get fluids into her. I would not withhold feed for more than 24 hrs, offer a little wet soupy feed or bits of scrambled egg.

You can treat like impacted and sour at the same time if you wish.

Took her to the vet today. I got part of it out but there was a hard lump I couldn't get to move at all. He did get it to soften and showed me how he did it. Still working with her. She gets a scrambled egg in the morning and the evening. Which is getting through. Still a work in progress.

Back
Top Bottom