Sour crop?

Webbykins

In the Brooder
May 3, 2023
This is Ragnar, my gentle giant. His crop is soft and squishy - still full in the morning. No foul odor from his mouth, no white in his mouth. I'm assuming sour crop. I've massaged it and he hasn't thrown up. What do I need to do, Google gives me a million different answers.

Attachments

• 20230709_115343.jpg
    20230709_115343.jpg
    1,004.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 20230709_115342.jpg
    20230709_115342.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230709_115331.jpg
    20230709_115331.jpg
    919.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230709_114453.jpg
    20230709_114453.jpg
    714.4 KB · Views: 4
If his crop is still full in the mornings before he's had anything to eat/drink, then access the crop and determine which treatment you need to administer. The article below will help you figure that out.

Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for your flock?
What do you feed, including treats?

I would not attempt to make him throw up, you risk aspiration.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

If his crop is still full in the mornings before he's had anything to eat/drink, then access the crop and determine which treatment you need to administer. The article below will help you figure that out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thank you. They get grit but spill it everywhere with my current container for it. They have flock block, AL flock crumbles, get occasional meal worms, and watermelon on hot days.

It's surprisingly feeling kind of smaller and more normal this morning. Maybe I'm overreacting for it? I'll keep an eye on it obviously, just in case. If it seems to get bad again I'll use either the nystatin or monistat. Thanks again!

It's surprisingly feeling kind of smaller and more normal this morning. Maybe I'm overreacting for it? I'll keep an eye on it obviously, just in case. If it seems to get bad again I'll use either the nystatin or monistat. Thanks again!
Check him for several mornings to see if it's emptying.

If you are feeling of his crop during the day when he's been eating/drinking then you will feel (food/water) in the crop which can sometimes feel squishy/soft or firm depending on how much he's filled up.

It's always good to be aware, so you're checking on him is a good thing!

Check him for several mornings to see if it's emptying.

If you are feeling of his crop during the day when he's been eating/drinking then you will feel (food/water) in the crop which can sometimes feel squishy/soft or firm depending on how much he's filled up.

It's always good to be aware, so you're checking on him is a good thing!
I check him through out the day to massage it, then at bed time to assess size and in the morning. We left for vacation the 29th at night and I noticed it when i was saying my goodbyes and was like sheeeeesssshhhh hopefully it's water/food from the day. When I got home Saturday I saw it was still pretty large and squishy and he'd seemed to have lost weight (but he grew in that timeframe). Google said (consistently) to massage it in a downward motion numerous times a day and that's what I've been doing. I also pulled him out and gave him his own grit which he ate some. This morning it felt more "normal" to me as opposed to a water balloon. Some what squishy not too large.

If you're treating with monistat, we had a lot of success with squeezing out the needed amount and lightly freezing it. Makes it more like a pill and goes down much easier. Don't let it freeze for too long though!

The swaddle helps a ton though!

Back
Top Bottom