Southern California - Want to Split An Order of 25 Meat Bird Chicks

Alex818

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
Tujunga, CA
Hello All,

I am looking for someone to split an order of either Freedom/Red Rangers, Red/Black Broilers, or this other breed of Red Cornish Cross I found. These breeds mature at 10 to 12 weeks rather than 8 weeks like the traditional white Cornish cross and don't have the leg/heart problems that the traditional Cornish Cross chickens do. They are also more active/mobile and will free-range better. I just need about 12 chicks but the minimum order is 25 (you can have the rest plus any extras they ship). The cost to split the order will run somewhere around $28

Please let me know if you are interested. I am located in Tujunga, CA (North of Glendale).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Alex,

I am about 8 weeks into a group of Cornish X and Red Rangers, so right now I am not ready for more chicks, but keep me in mind for the future. I might be interested in splitting an order in October.

Alex,

I am about 8 weeks into a group of Cornish X and Red Rangers, so right now I am not ready for more chicks, but keep me in mind for the future. I might be interested in splitting an order in October.
can you give us some size comparisons for the Red R vs the CX? Maybe some pix?

I won't be home until late tonight, but I will see if I can get some pictures tomorrow. The CX are huge at 8 weeks. I did two on Sunday when they were just over 7 weeks, and they were nice sized and had plenty of meat. I plan to have one for dinner tomorrow night. My only complaint was they had so many pin feathers that I finally wound up skinning them because life is too short to spend an hour pulling tiny pin feathers with a pair of tweezers. I am hoping that the remaining 3 will not have as many pin feathers when I do them on 4/21.

The Red Rangers are less than half the size of the CX, but are much more active and robust. They are developing nice bone structure and are growing fast, but compared to the CX they seem very slow. The CX seem to be much slower to mature, but some of the RR cockerels are starting to crow a bit. I will fix that by putting one of my grouchy old hens in with them -- the laying hens will not tolerate uppity young chickens getting above their place, but until the CX are gone I can't do it because the CX are too slow to get away from a hen on a rampage.

Alex,

I am about 8 weeks into a group of Cornish X and Red Rangers, so right now I am not ready for more chicks, but keep me in mind for the future.  I might be interested in splitting an order in October.

Sounds good, I will be in touch.

These red rangers the same as the red broilers? I am interested in splitting an order if anybody wants.... pm me

These red rangers the same as the red broilers? I am interested in splitting an order if anybody wants.... pm me

Yes, essentially they are the same birds. Plans have changed for me however... my father in-law is letting me setup a coop at his house to keep the chickens but he agreed to let me build one that is a little smaller than what I was planning on building so in order to make the best of it I'm going to have to stick with the cornish cross for now (less birds, faster growth) in order to keep up with my family's demand for chicken meat. Someone else emailed me wanting to split an order for these birds so if you want I can give you their information (they live near me in Sun Valley, CA) and you can work out a deal with them to split an order. Let me know.

Back
Top Bottom