Spangled x Blue

PillBug

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2022
Is the spangled gene the same gene on blues? The pattern that blues get is that the same pattern gene as spangled? and could you use that to enhance the pattern or would the spangled/blue pattern die off?

Last edited:
I'm going to respond with a guess just because I want to see what someone with experience will say.

I do know that the blue diluter gene only affects black. Spangle I haven't gotten my head around yet, so @NatJ

LofMc

Is the spangled gene the same gene on blues? The pattern that blues get is that the same pattern gene as spangled? and could you use that to enhance the pattern or would the spangled/blue pattern die off?

Spangling (like in Hamburgs and Brabanters and Spitzhaubens) requires the pattern gene, and Melanotic, and Db.

I think laced blues should have those, or at least most of those, as well. (By "laced blues" I mean the ones that have black edges on blue feathers, such as Blue Andalusians.)

The kind of "spangling" found in Old English Games and Cornish Bantams is based on the mottling gene instead, and would definitely NOT help your blues.

I think blues are based on E (Extended Black), while spangling is based on one or another of the other e locus alleles. That allows spangled birds to have black spangling on a gold or silver background, but you do not want that gold or silver in your blues.

So I think it would be better to just breed the best blues to each other, instead of crossing in spangled birds, if at all possible.

@nicalandia can you check if I got this right?

Spangling (like in Hamburgs and Brabanters and Spitzhaubens) requires the pattern gene, and Melanotic, and Db.

I think laced blues should have those, or at least most of those, as well. (By "laced blues" I mean the ones that have black edges on blue feathers, such as Blue Andalusians.)

The kind of "spangling" found in Old English Games and Cornish Bantams is based on the mottling gene instead, and would definitely NOT help your blues.

I think blues are based on E (Extended Black), while spangling is based on one or another of the other e locus alleles. That allows spangled birds to have black spangling on a gold or silver background, but you do not want that gold or silver in your blues.

So I think it would be better to just breed the best blues to each other, instead of crossing in spangled birds, if at all possible.

@nicalandia can you check if I got this right?
That clarifies everything thanks a ton! My first idea was to make something like this hen on the left in Old English Game, or this cream like hamburg but I'm starting to realize how that is out of the realms of reality, I'm getting some bb red "spangled" and splash Old English Game chickens, and just wanted to see some interesting color combos in later generations

Attachments

• wretgewrt.jpg
    wretgewrt.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 6
  • hamburg.jpg
    hamburg.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom