Speckled Sussex Rooster or EE Rooster?

DotTheHen

Songster
May 6, 2019
Hello! I'm debating whether to get a Speckled Sussex Rooster or an Easter Egger Rooster. At first, I was set on an Easter Egger, since they have so much variation. But I also read stories about their aggressive EEs, and decided to keep an open mind. Then my breeder announced she would have Speckled Sussex pullets and cockerels available in June, and I fell in love with their looks. I read a little about them, and saw that people said the hens were sweet and kind, but I couldn't get a direct verdict on roosters in particular.

I'd really like to hear all the good and bad things about the breeds, or which one you recommend, or a totally different breed. If you had or have one of these breeds, I'd love it if you shared their pros and cons (and maybe pictures)! Thanks!

I personally have never owned a rooster that is either of these breeds, although I have an EE hen who is very curious and friendly. But I will say, either would probably be a good choice if they are the breed you prefer. Both of these breeds are not known to be aggressive, but that just depends on the chicken. I'm sure some roosters are very aggressive, while some take good care of their hens. Both are gorgeous breeds, and I think it comes down to which you like best! :)

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, since I have never owned any roosters in this breed, but I hope some of it helps, and best of luck to you! :)

I had a Speckled Sussex roo that was Evil Incarnate. So beautiful we just couldn't talk ourselves into getting rid of him. But a coyote took care of it for us. Sad but he had to go. So dangerous. We couldn't go out of our house if he was free ranging!

If your breeder is a breeder and not a middle man for hatchery then the birds would be non human aggressive. Breeder stock simply do not show any sign of it. If they did they'd be culled from breeding. This non human aggression is ingrained into breeder stock birds.

If this person is simply growing out hatchery stock then it's a crap shoot as to the temper of the bird. 50/50 chance he'll be good or a headache you get rid of later.

I've had personal experience with the following roosters.
Dominique - They tend to be dominant over other breeds I've had, only 1 of 3 was human aggressive. The other 2 (sons' of #1) were very easy to hand tame and never had any issues with people, but asserted dominance over the flock and tended to "over use" my hens
Cream Legbar - I've had 3 of these. They have the best personality overall, very laid back, easy to hand tame, and able to co-exist with other roosters, but also very alert & protective for a free range flock. Also more gentle on the hens (i.e. more like courting vs. rapey). 2 of the 3 tended to get bullied by other roosters and hens, but I now have one who is #1 in the pecking order and is a very good leader of the flock with respect from the girls.
Appenzeller Spitzhauben - I currently have 2. One went through an aggressive phase (to both humans and other roosters), but came around surprisingly well after a "time out" period where he was bumped to #2. Has completely changed his tune & is a great rooster, along with his brother (who was always sweet and good with the girls)

If you can get them, I would highly recommend the Spitzhauben. Hands down the most beautiful rooster I have.
Elvis.JPG

All chicks I've purchased (vs. hatching myself) have come from Cackle Hatchery in Lebanon MO.

The friendliest roosters I ever came across where Rhode Island Reds. I am not sure of them being the lowest pecking order had to do with their calm demeanor?

My sebright pair show them who where the TOP of the pecking order. Both can scare the crap out of the poor boys. They always come to me to protect them from being bullied. LOL
That was just my experience though.

Back
Top Bottom