Splash marans?

bscorpio73

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
North Carolina
Can anyone tell me about splash marans. I no little to nothing about marans. I have two splash marans that are about 3-4 weeks old. They are mostly white with a few blue feathers here and there. One has the dark grey feet with feathers, and the other has pink feet with small amount of grey running up outside of leg, with no feathers on the feet. What causes the differences amoung these chicks? Maybe cross breading, or just genetics? Just curious. Also, will the eggs be dark brown?

Thanks.

Hello! Marans are really a developing breed. And you are right, it's definitely genetics......I do believe that dark skinned legs are something that you want in a Marans. The coloring you describe sounds right for a splash, and you "SHOULD" get a nice dark egg from a Marans hen, but not every breeder has the best genetics. There are various degrees of dark color for a Marans egg. I bought my first Marans from a private breeder, and the eggs were not dark, so I sold them. Then I bought a young hen from a breeder at a poultry show, and I was lucky to see the egg color that her sister hen layed, and her eggs are nice and dark. I think Marans should have the feathered legs according to the breed standard, but some don't have the feathers on their legs......You could google "Marans Of America" and this will give you some info regarding the breed and the genetic traits that are favorable! (I might not be real accurate, as I just have one BCM hen, for the egg color. I'm not a breeder.)

Anyhow, enjoy your Marans! They're beautiful!

Sharon

Splash Marans can have either slate (light or a darker color...but Splash do not usually have the darker slate legs) or pink/white legs, both are acceptable. I have had babies come from 2 feathered legged parents that do not have any feathers on their shanks and hatchmates from the same parent stock that have nicely feathered shanks, then some that have sparse feathering or 2-3 feathers on the shanks. It's a genetic. You should also get a nice egg from a Splash Marans but please be advised that many blue and splash Marans do not lay as dark of an egg as the Black Coppers, generally they a lighter egg.

Thanks for all of the replies.
smile.png
I am mainly interested in the egg color, and the overall attractiveness of the bird. Not really concerned about if it has feathers on shank, or dark legs. I like unusual looking things, so these interested me. I was just curious about the differences. Can't wait till they start laying. They are still young, so also still hoping they turn out to be girls. Have a blue copper marans that is around 7 weeks old, and am hoping is a pullet. What do you think?

23614_dscf1921.jpg

23614_dscf1924.jpg

This one is of the black copper marans, about same age, one cockerel and one pullet, I think.

I am no means good at guessing, and would not be suprised if I am wrong.
big_smile.png

23614_dscf1842.jpg

23614_dscf1843.jpg

Pictures of my splash marans.

Thanks again.

I do believe that dark skinned legs are something that you want in a Marans

The required shank colour in all Marans varieties is white. Dusky shanks are allowed,but not preferred, in the Black,Black Copper & Birchens. It is a disqualification in all other varieties.​

I am wondering what variety of Marans are bred together to produce a Splash maran? Please advise.
This is a pretty old thread but I'm happy to answer.
Splash is two copies of blue so both parents need to be blue or splash. Ways to produce a Splash Marans is:
Blue to Blue = Blue, Black and Splash
Blue to Splash = Blue and Splash
Slash to Splash = 100% Splash but you run the risk of producing "washed out" or mostly white looking birds..

Back
Top Bottom