Spraddle Leg

Joannaz

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2020
England, UK
Hey!

One of my black rosecomb chicks has a splayed leg.

Because she is so small, I struggled to find an elastic band that would fit her.

Do you think it’s currently short enough or should we try and make her legs go in a bit more?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 24C095C9-5421-41B1-9D31-A59CA302BB50.jpeg
    24C095C9-5421-41B1-9D31-A59CA302BB50.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 21
@lissamel84 Thanks for getting back to me! Because his legs are so small, we ended up using some micropore tape to hold it in place. We tried a super small elastic tie but it was still too big! And vet tape always fell off :(

Unfortunately he still seems to be a bit crooked and I’ve heard you can put them in a glass cup to try and fix it. But it looks like he’s walking on the side of his foot, not the whole feet? Do I need to do something to righten that? Thanks so much in advance!

Attachments

• C5B36776-CA8C-4344-94F0-4F74049B63EF.jpeg
    C5B36776-CA8C-4344-94F0-4F74049B63EF.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 13
She wasn’t enjoying the cup, so I put her back in the chick hospital with a better brace.

Do you think she’ll be okay? She’s struggling to stand up and fell in the water hence why she’s a bit wet 😭😭

Please can someone advise?

Attachments

• 82EF5D40-78AA-436C-B640-FF67557D88FE.jpeg
    82EF5D40-78AA-436C-B640-FF67557D88FE.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 11
I have a similar issue with a chick myself. One played leg, her toes are all bunched and she walks on the side of her foot. What is this glass trick you mentioned? I have done the vet wrap and it seems to stay on, but its been almost 2 days and although there is an improvement I am worried she will not come right since she is still not using her one leg at all

I have a similar issue with a chick myself. One played leg, her toes are all bunched and she walks on the side of her foot. What is this glass trick you mentioned? I have done the vet wrap and it seems to stay on, but its been almost 2 days and although there is an improvement I am worried she will not come right since she is still not using her one leg at all

hey! So I think it’s not actually spraddle leg but a slipped tendon. Is the joint swollen? Is she sometimes walking on the joint?

if so, apparently we just need to pull her leg back and straighten it out. I did that and vet taped it at that position and put her in a chick chair. I found this idea from this website here:
https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/

If it’s spraddle leg, then apparently you can put them in a cup with a paper towel at the bottom which will make them stand as normal. I don’t know much about it though apart from my lil chick hates it. She hates the chick chair too but it’s for her own good 😅

hey! So I think it’s not actually spraddle leg but a slipped tendon. Is the joint swollen? Is she sometimes walking on the joint?

if so, apparently we just need to pull her leg back and straighten it out. I did that and vet taped it at that position and put her in a chick chair. I found this idea from this website here:
https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/

If it’s spraddle leg, then apparently you can put them in a cup with a paper towel at the bottom which will make them stand as normal. I don’t know much about it though apart from my lil chick hates it. She hates the chick chair too but it’s for her own good 😅
Thanks for this. Will keep an eye out. I have sent a video to 2 local vets to see what they say. Her joint is a bit swollen, but when we pull her leg ack we don't see or feel any tendon. But I m also scared of pulling it back too far in case I do more damage and break the leg.

Back
Top Bottom