Squirrels eating pellets

Jverdian

Chirping
Jun 12, 2018
I have a big problem with ground squirrels in my backyard. We live backing an open space and there are hundreds, probably thousands of ground squirrels that live there and they are impossible to eradicate. They can dig their way anywhere. They have lately been eating my organic layer pellet and I really can’t keep them out of the coop/run area. I keep a hanging feeder in the coop, which we open every morning to let the girls spend the day in their run. Any suggestions? Should I just put the feeder out a couple times a day? They have always eaten ad lib.

Yeah maybe just feed enough to the point where your chickens finish right away. Then throughout the day you can hand feed some more if they are still hungry. We have had some chickens get injured by them, so keep watch.

I bought a squirrelinator trap. Works amazing. Caught 5-6 at a time, now we have a few at the neighbors property line. Slowly cleaning them up.

Wow! I’ll check those out! Besides our chicken feed they wipe out flowers and vegetables too. I’d give anything to keep them at bay!

If you get one of our feeders that will stop ground squirrels for sure, then the will go after the flowers and veggies. But they are after the protein in the pellets so maybe bait a live trap with pellets or peanut butter and get their numbers down. Most likely you are going to find out that half of your feed was going to the ground squirrels, even a rich natural territory can only support so many ground squirrels but with an artificial feed source in place, there is no limit.

But, once you force the critters to forage naturally they are much more exposed to their natural predators and that helps keep the population in check.

It is nearly impossible to poison, trap, or fence your way out of a rodent problem. Controlling the feed though is easy and you have less disease, vermin, and pests being brought into your coop.

Back
Top Bottom