Squirrels stealing chicken feed

IDK if this works, I was told they dont like Irish Springs soap, just place a bar near where you dont want them. I have some pear tree that I dont get any fruit from as they take it all before ripe.
I do use live trapes baited with peanut butter sandwiches halves. Do check local game laws as to what to do with them after catch.

I just love you guys! I can always find out what I need to know here. I'm having the same squirrel problems - egg and expensive organic food stealing. I'm thankful for the cayenne solution! I'm employing it TODAY!!!!

I've heard blood meal can keep squirrels/rabbits/deer away, but I've also heard it can stink if it gets wet (for obvious reasons). I think I'd be more likely to try Irish Spring soap shavings or something first and leave blood meal for a later resort.

The powdered pepper should work quite effectively. I've used it in wild bird seed before when the squirrels were especially bad, tearing them up and eating the seed. A word of advice though...

Do not, I repeat do not use the product outdoors with any wind. Believe me from experience, it will manage to get in your eyes and make you quite miserable. Do it in the garage or whatever and wash your hands/body/whatever when you're done with it. ;)

What about those treadle feeders? I have not tried one but supposedly it only opens for the chickens, not a lighter weight animal.
Treadle feeders will stop small numbers of squirrels IF you have full sized birds and have the feeder door spring set fairly stiff. If you live in a forest filled with squirrels your feeder will most likely get overrun. Plenty of reviews on my feeder with the customer laughing about the squirrels getting shut out and the enjoyment of winning a long battle but one or two were just overran with squirrels and you give three or four squirrels and they weigh enough and will cooperate. Luckily for most people, they will be in a typical backyard suburban setting and have one or two squirrels to deal with as the density of nut trees is sparse enough that the squirrels territory is quite large and the coop isn't in an overlapping territory situation.

The powdered cayenne pepper has REALLY helped with the food stealing! I mix enough in to about change the color of the food and it is rare I see a squirrel trying to eat it anymore. Still working on the egg-stealing problem....

The cayenne idea has me very excited. Does chicken age matter with respect to the cayenne (my girls are 8-9 weeks old)? I currently have them shut inside the coop w/run (6' x 16'), and it's predator proof (as long as the door is shut). But soon, I'll be opening the door during the day giving them access to the "free-range" area which is fenced and will have overhead aviary netting to keep flying predators out. My property is overrun with ground squirrels who love chicken-feed, and they get into the area that also has chicken feed stations, from underground.

Harmonyp, I don't know for certain but I really can't think of a reason why it would? My 6 ladies are about 9 months old and have been free ranging since about month 3? I only wish I knew about the cayenne solution sooner! Word to mama chick: when they begin to free range, there will most likely be a terrifying predatory encounter - something might come after and scare the crap out of them - but that will help them smarten up and learn to be on the lookout. It happened here, anyhow, but I now know my girls know how to take cover and keep their wits about themselves. If you are in anything but mild weather, make sure they are fully feathered before they are exposed to the elements. Cayenne wise? They LOVE the stuff! Oh! I buy my cayenne at Dollar Tree! The girls aren't fancy! I think I end up mixing 3 (2.25 oz) bottles to a 25 to 35 lb. Bag of food. I hope this helps you as much as it has helped me! Keep me posted!

Back
Top Bottom