"Stacked" 2x2 Exterior Nesting Box plans / pics?

navajas

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 7, 2014
Sequim
Hey folks, I'm about to construct my first new coop since moving so long ago away from my pride and joy. I'm trying to apply some things I learned about taking care of chickens in the mean time. As per my last build, this design will be based as much as possible on uncut lumber, so, the coop box itself will be five sheets of plywood. One of the two 8' sides of the box will mount exterior nesting boxes.

I'm trying to remember the general rule of thumb for size... 14"? First thought was a single row of three, but my previous coops had two separate boxes of two nests each. I remember the roosts being kind of cramped in there though, so then I thought, what if I stack four boxes, 2x2, on one end, and have more room for roosts on the other?

Is a 4' x 4' face big enough for a 2x2 configuration of nesting boxes? Anyone have plans or pics of such a construction?

Also, can't remember, how much "head room" do chickens need above a roost to keep it comfortable?

I am really looking forward to having birds again. It's been a long time.

Thanks for your thought!

I have two sets of nest boxes (6-total) but usually only 1-2 is used when I had as many as 25 layers. My boxes are based on 4ft wide lumber and I've got 3 across that width - so a 4x4 area should be plenty space for mounting a group of 4 boxes like mentioned, likely with room to spare. Unless you're having like 2-dozen chickens I don't think you need more than two boxes. Good luck

I have two sets of nest boxes (6-total) but usually only 1-2 is used when I had as many as 25 layers. My boxes are based on 4ft wide lumber and I've got 3 across that width - so a 4x4 area should be plenty space for mounting a group of 4 boxes like mentioned, likely with room to spare. Unless you're having like 2-dozen chickens I don't think you need more than two boxes. Good luck
Always say I'm going to have 6-8. Always end up with 8-10.

But, that's what I think I remember from my old coop: I made two nice, double nest, boxes and about 95% of the eggs were laid in just two of them.

I think I'll split the difference and make one box of three.

Is there an easy link of common wisdom dimensions for nesting boxes, how far off the floor, birds per foot of roost, etc... so I don't have to be the billionth person to ask?

Back
Top Bottom