Stalking my broody for her eggs

CoopBoots

Crowing
Aug 31, 2022
Caught her laying around 2 or 3pm today. Likely that she'll lay a little later tomorrow, or just skip a day? The weather has been sunny.

I'm stalking her because I only ever collect eggs AFTER she's already sitting, for the most part, so it's pretty likely she's only ever hatching for the rest of the flock instead of her own eggs! She's my only reliable broody out of my almost 20 flock.. I've lost count... and I want more broody in the bloodline.

Thanks for any advice!

I don’t have personal experience, but @aart posted this video a while back:

I hope that helps!
Much appreciated! That really does help. I'm probably going to try that soon, as I don't know how much success I'll continue to have with running to the coop every 20 minutes once I establish that she's actually gone inside... 🤪

I caught her today, but the sly thing laid her egg in ONE box, then moved to her preferred hatching nestbox next door just to confuse me and to continue sitting! This after sitting for over an hour, probably two. She isn't puffing or screaming at me, but she is screaming at the other hens when they approach. I've filled the nest she's current on with a bunch of fakes and she started to tuck them in. Maaaaaybe she is thinking about going broody?

Attachments

• 20240227_140132.jpg
    20240227_140132.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 3
Update: She took another month but DID finally spend a night and a day on the nest starting on the 22nd. I didn't do the food coloring because she was skipping a lot of days (it seemed, might have just been too early for me to catch) and I wasn't sure I could do it alone, either. Figured my husband might think I was crazy if I asked him for help 😆

I did read that lipstick on the vent might last longer and still mark an egg, so that's going on my list of tips for next time...

I did manage to get about 6 eggs that are almost definitely hers and I got a lot more familiar with her unique shell size and slight differences in color. I'll try to update again if anything hatches!

1000002364.jpg

Back
Top Bottom