Standard Cochin Rooster over a mixed flock.

Dani RVT

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2023
I have 6 Cochin hens (2 black, 2 blue, 1 splash, 1 red) and just bought a Blue Cochin rooster. I plan to hatch pure Cochins but I also have 24 other hens (BCM’s, Polish, EE’s, Barred Rocks, etc..). My plan is to just keep the one Cochin rooster and allow him to breed the others as well. Is this acceptable? Will or can he cover that many hens? And I would love to see pictures of any Cochin mixes that may come from the breedings.

I think it’ll be fine but it depends on the individual rooster how many he can or will cover or if he has favorites or whatever. Some can handle it, some can’t. You’ll just have to wait and see. I know that’s probably not the answer you wanted to hear.

I think it’ll be fine but it depends on the individual rooster how many he can or will cover or if he has favorites or whatever. Some can handle it, some can’t. You’ll just have to wait and see. I know that’s probably not the answer you wanted to hear.
Thank you for the response, I figured it would just depend on the rooster. Hopefully he can keep up, if not I can always add another or separate my Cochins from the rest. I free range the whole flock so I would hate to do that but it’s always an option also.

Thank you for the response, I figured it would just depend on the rooster. Hopefully he can keep up, if not I can always add another or separate my Cochins from the rest. I free range the whole flock so I would hate to do that but it’s always an option also.
Those are all good ideas but hopefully won’t be necessary.

Back
Top Bottom