Standing up not perching down on roosting bar while sleeping

Ambersquared

Chirping
Sep 7, 2022
Delaware County, Pennsylvania, USA
I recently installed a camera in my coop since my ladies started laying and I was trying to see who what laying what.

I’ve noticed two gals stand on the roosting bar most of the night instead of perching down tucked in like the others. Picture below of one for reference. They appear to be sleeping in and out.

Is this normal? If not, could it be that they’re starting to lay and are a bit uncomfortable or could it be something else?

it’s 35 degrees out here and there’s ventilation at the top of coop that’s 4x4 inside with additional room for two nesting boxes. I had just cleaned out the coop yesterday (clean it weekly) and they seem to be eating drinking and pooping just fine.

***update one of my girls seemed to have relaxed perching down after laying an egg early this morning***

Attachments

• 2B5AAC4F-605B-486A-84CC-5955886A6809.png
    2B5AAC4F-605B-486A-84CC-5955886A6809.png
    1 MB · Views: 109
Last edited:
I recently installed a camera in my coop since my ladies started laying and I was trying to see who what laying what.

I’ve noticed two gals stand on the roosting bar most of the night instead of perching down tucked in like the others. Picture below of one for reference. They appear to be sleeping in and out.

Is this normal? If not, could it be that they’re starting to lay and are a bit uncomfortable or could it be something else?

it’s 35 degrees out here and there’s ventilation at the top of coop that’s 4x4 inside with additional room for two nesting boxes. I had just cleaned out the coop yesterday (clean it weekly) and they seem to be eating drinking and pooping just fine.

***update one of my girls seemed to have relaxed perching down after laying an egg early this morning***
Looks normal to me. Chickens can sleep standing up. Some are just quirky.

I watch the little things closely.
Best images I have were from about a decade back. Below are a pair of chickens (stag left/pullet right) that roosted on our front porch. This also how they sleep in trees and in the barn when on natural/branch like roosts. The ability to curl toes may be important.

Night shot image.
41527_sleeping_on_front_porch_001.jpg

Colorized image.
41527_sleeping_on_front_porch_002.jpg

Images extracted from thread below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/interesting-picture-of-chickens-sleeping.454020/

When I have had birds stand up a lot or move around during the night, while otherwise undisturbed, indicated they had a comfort issue of some sort. Moving about otherwise makes you more obvious to predators.
Thank you for this information! I also love the pictures of your chickens!
My one hen laid early in the morning (6 am) and this is her first week laying ever (she’s 23 weeks) so I’m thinking she was uncomfortable due to the egg. She seemed to relax after laying.
I checked them for mites and ticks today and didn’t see anything.
So far tonight they’re super comfy and seem relaxed. Picture below. Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• 96841B18-92A1-4A1E-962A-4598DC4089A6.jpeg
    96841B18-92A1-4A1E-962A-4598DC4089A6.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 25
Thank you for this information! I also love the pictures of your chickens!
My one hen laid early in the morning (6 am) and this is her first week laying ever (she’s 23 weeks) so I’m thinking she was uncomfortable due to the egg. She seemed to relax after laying.
I checked them for mites and ticks today and didn’t see anything.
So far tonight they’re super comfy and seem relaxed. Picture below. Fingers crossed!
I have recently installed a chicken cam I am noticing some of ours stand and some roost. I’m not sure why. Although I did learn that some keep guard while others sleep idk.

Attachments

• DE3FBF31-4B3A-4DDC-947A-C78C6BFB9159.png
    DE3FBF31-4B3A-4DDC-947A-C78C6BFB9159.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom