Started laying.... And then stopped

Well, they were at the equinox in Sept, shorter now.

At max, 14 is enough.
Here's a pretty good article on supplemental lighting.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2395219
Today is actually 11 hours and 57 minutes. I'm not sure what the shortest day in January is though.

Thanks for the article. I'll give that a read for sure.

I'm in central Alberta Canada. We got down to -15degC last week which is when the laying stopped. I'm sure that's the trigger.... Or at least 1 trigger. Light is likely the other.

I'll update my profile too.

Thanks aart!

Today is actually 11 hours and 57 minutes.
Not according to.....
https://dateandtime.info/citysunrisesunset.php?id=5946768
1604247594090.png

Today is actually 11 hours and 57 minutes. I'm not sure what the shortest day in January is though.
Shortest day of the year is around December 21. Winter Solstice.

We got down to -15degC last week which is when the laying stopped. I'm sure that's the trigger.... Or at least 1 trigger. Light is likely the other.
Light has the most effect.

Also of note is how old your birds are. I went through the same thoughts as you when my BCM laid for 2 weeks then took a month off through September.

During the month of "wtf where are my dang eggs" I did some reading and it seems that some pullets need time to figure out the whole egg thing and can take intermittent breaks. Hopefully your gals are just learning the ropes of their biology and will start up again soon.

Also of note is how old your birds are. I went through the same thoughts as you when my BCM laid for 2 weeks then took a month off through September.

During the month of "wtf where are my dang eggs" I did some reading and it seems that some pullets need time to figure out the whole egg thing and can take intermittent breaks. Hopefully your gals are just learning the ropes of their biology and will start up again soon.
Yeah... I had a feeling that this might happen. Somewhere between no laying and messed up laying before winter hit. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom