Starting Bantam Flock

Sep 21, 2020
I have a red Bantam Cochin, about 2 -3 years old. We have hatched new roosters that are getting larger and very dominant. Our bantam is the only bantam in the flock, so we thought now would be a time to get him his own bantam flock. The bigger boys are giving him a go of it.

We aren't concerned about an abundance of eggs, but we would love to have a few girls to hatch some. Should I get more red Cochin bantams, or will there be others that would make a cute mix that anyone is aware of? We love the thought of a couple of silkies for good measure, as I have several grandchildren who love to help with the chickens.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Melinda

I just raise silkies here but have one white bantam cochin left from 3 that someone brought over here several years ago. I will be glad when the other hen dies of old age which should be soon. Perhaps it's just because they were with the silkies, but they are so greedy and mean to them. For instance, I will set down a dish of ferment and they all get around. She pecks at them so she gets it all to herself. I know this and set down the second dish. The silkies come to the new dish. She sees that and comes over to that one. Except this time, I shake a foot at her and she goes back to the one she started. The silkies I can put with younger chickens, but not her, as she'd probably kill them. She chases them.

I have bantam cochins as well, they live mixed in with large fowl birds as well as silkies, bantam wyandottes, satins, modern game bantams, bantam Ameraucanas, bantam brahmas, and Belgian d'Uccles and d'Anvers. Most bantam cochin boys are very good with the other bantam breed hens...but bantam cochin hens can be real mean girls depending on the hen, to other bantam girls. If you want a flock that gets along well and like silkies, I would consider getting him some silkie girls and maybe some d'Uccles and/or bantam Brahma girls they are very docile. Silkies crossed with bantam cochins make very pretty first generation Satins too, which is a fun mix to have as well! Red cochins mixed with any silkie color would make some pretty satin colors :love

I am having a hard time finding sexed bantams. I'm in North Carolina. There are even very few that offer sexed bantams online. I have never ordered online before and I'm scared of them being "damaged" in transit.

I am having a hard time finding sexed bantams. I'm in North Carolina. There are even very few that offer sexed bantams online. I have never ordered online before and I'm scared of them being "damaged" in transit.
Cackle Hatchery in Lebanon, MO offers a sexed mixed bantam pullet assortment but they are not cheap... I still have 12 of 17 hens that I got back in the spring of 2019 from them and they arrived just fine here in Southside VA on a 24 degrees F late March morning. The remaining hens are still pretty, healthy and have been productive.

I have gotten sexed bantams from Meyer Hatchery with good success, but sexed bantams are hard to find because they're so tiny! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom