Starting the battle to modify city ordinance to allow chickens in Ogden, KS.

bmath80

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 26, 2013
A little history: We got chickens last year around Easter to raise for their eggs. I was aware of the city ordinance that stated "pets" were fine, but found out in December 2012 that chickens were not considered pets and we had to remove them. SO here I am ready to take on the battle and met with the city inspector who writes the ordinances. He suggested I go to the Planning Commission meeting on Aug 12th and he would put me on the agenda. He also suggested I send him a 1-page bullet format list of talking points of perhaps pro's to allowing backyard chickens in town. This is a smallish town, maybe 1000-1500 residents, who likes being small. I need to steer clear of comparing them to larger communities and avoid using terms like "progressive" etc. If the Planning Commission okays this, they direct the inspector to write/rewrite the ordinance. At this time it goes before the City Council who votes Yay or Nay to make it official.

My question is this: I want to provide a list that builds up the pro's but at the same time lists the con's but minimizes them as much as possible? I've visited the provided links in this section and have a good start, but is there one that anyone has seen or used that is pretty much ready to present?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Brett

Thankfully, haven't had to fight that battle.

Cons could be roosters crowing - if it's an issue easily solved by fighting for hens only within city limits

Many worry about smells, or attracting rodents, etc. But well maintained coops result in neither.

I really can't think of any other cons...Good luck with your fight!

I am doing battle with Cedar Park, TX on the same issues. I found this link http://www.imarkrealty.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Why-Backyard-Chickens-in-Flower-Mound.pdf that to me says it all. The group that put this file together did an excellent job and a service to all of us by publishing it so we can use it to make changes. After reading it, I don't see how anyone could argue the benefits of having an appropriate size flock for the amount of land being used, in the suburbs. Good luck, I hope this helps.

I am doing battle with Cedar Park, TX on the same issues. I found this link http://www.imarkrealty.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Why-Backyard-Chickens-in-Flower-Mound.pdf that to me says it all. The group that put this file together did an excellent job and a service to all of us by publishing it so we can use it to make changes. After reading it, I don't see how anyone could argue the benefits of having an appropriate size flock for the amount of land being used, in the suburbs. Good luck, I hope this helps.
I can't open this in Powerpoint and a pdf can't be edited.

I know this is old, and now irrelevant, but I'd like to say this for the benefit of anyone in a similar situation.

Most arguments against chickens can be argued by comparing them to dogs. Chickens make noise? So do dogs. Just think of that neighbor who has that dog that wails all night long, every night. We all know that neighbor.

Chickens smell? That depends, but then, so do dogs, if the yard isn't maintained very well. Who hasn't seen the yard that hasn't been cleaned of dog crap in the past 5 years?

Disease? What about fleas and ticks on dogs? If they are so worried about disease that they can't abide confined chickens, they'd better go on a rampage and eliminate all vectors for disease. You know, like the sparrows, and pigeons, and crows, and squirrels, and rabbits, and rats, and mice, any other animals that take up residence inside city limits.

I know and i just moved to Ogden and would love to get chickens, so I'm wondering where this gentleman left off on trying to get it approved.

Back
Top Bottom