State of my flock, Midsummer

Mar 22, 2022
It’s the middle of the summer. We started the year with six birds. In January we lost a young Rooster to a hawk. In March we had another hawk attack but didn’t lose any birds. I started reinforcing the henyard. After the second attack we got five legbar chicks at the co-op.

My silky Betty took them right in after sitting on eggs for months and not becoming a chicken Mama. But after a week I realized that the leg bars were gonna be much larger than the silkies and decided to rehome them when they were old enough to move to another flock. Which is what I did in June, my sister took them in and added to her flock. I added four silkies chicks from the co-op in May.

So, I now have 9 silkies. I had to raise the silkie chicks because my bigger silkies wouldn’t. In June two of my birds went broody and I build a broody jail. My hen Delores, sat in cage and clucked for maybe a week. Her and the other hen, Clara, shared her space in jail until I got tired of swapping little chicks and keeping them safe from big birds. So I stopped the jail sentence and let them rejoin the flock. Delores went back to being with the other hens. Clara started sittting in egg box and I would remove her and let her down in yard until she would work her way back to egg box.

All of the sudden I noticed Clara clucking at the little silkies. She started staying with them in the hen house and following them around showing the little ones how to get grubs. I haven’t figured out what sex the little ones are yet. There is a lot of chest bumping going on. And that’s about it. Well except that Betty has gone back to being broody. I will put her out on the ground a few times a day. And I try to tell her that we aren't going to hatch anymore chicks. She just sighs and says how hot it is.

I hope everyone is having good summer, me and my birds are.

What colors do you have? I love mixed silkie color flocks
I started with all black birds. The new chicks are white, yellow?, and two shades of gray
9B838C35-C332-49E8-9D23-A234BFE6631E.jpeg

I need to get pictures up to date. The yellow one is smaller than the other birds.

Back
Top Bottom