staying in coop all day

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
Hi All - Today we have a winter storm - lots of snow and temps around 12-15. inside my coop it is 28 right now. It was as warm as 32 in the night but it is colder now. My relatively young plymouth rock has been inside all day. She is about 5.5 months old-ish. The other hens and my roo have gone out occasionally to eat and drink and wander around a but but Pepper has been almost entirely in the coop. At one point she was just laying on the ground and her bestie-girl our easter egger, has been going in to cuddle with her. She came out twice really briefly but I dont think she ate. I went in to check on her and I picked her up (normally it would be a major chase to grab her) fairly easily and held her and pet her and tried to warm her up and she seemed to love it. She closed her eyes and looked really cozy. I dont see any discharge around her nose, no wheezing, no goopy eyes or any signs of anything. She did jump up to the high perch at one point and slept up there (my egger went up and smooshed together with her) but the egger went out later to eat. Pepper jumped down later and went out to the run for a brief spell but didn't look on the cameras like she ate anything. LONG WINDED way of asking - is it normal for a chicken to just want to stay holed up inside if it is cold and snowy? Our main run is covered mostly with a plexiglass wind covering and it has a roof so it isn't windy in there - they have access to a second run that also has a roof but no siding. NOBODY wants to go in that one today. LOL. Any experience or advice - should I take her to the vet? I don't really have a place to put her if they send her home with antibiotics cuz all the cars are in the garage for the storm. Not sure if I am overworrying???

Hi All - Today we have a winter storm - lots of snow and temps around 12-15. inside my coop it is 28 right now. It was as warm as 32 in the night but it is colder now. My relatively young plymouth rock has been inside all day. She is about 5.5 months old-ish. The other hens and my roo have gone out occasionally to eat and drink and wander around a but but Pepper has been almost entirely in the coop. At one point she was just laying on the ground and her bestie-girl our easter egger, has been going in to cuddle with her. She came out twice really briefly but I dont think she ate. I went in to check on her and I picked her up (normally it would be a major chase to grab her) fairly easily and held her and pet her and tried to warm her up and she seemed to love it. She closed her eyes and looked really cozy. I dont see any discharge around her nose, no wheezing, no goopy eyes or any signs of anything. She did jump up to the high perch at one point and slept up there (my egger went up and smooshed together with her) but the egger went out later to eat. Pepper jumped down later and went out to the run for a brief spell but didn't look on the cameras like she ate anything. LONG WINDED way of asking - is it normal for a chicken to just want to stay holed up inside if it is cold and snowy? Our main run is covered mostly with a plexiglass wind covering and it has a roof so it isn't windy in there - they have access to a second run that also has a roof but no siding. NOBODY wants to go in that one today. LOL. Any experience or advice - should I take her to the vet? I don't really have a place to put her if they send her home with antibiotics cuz all the cars are in the garage for the storm. Not sure if I am overworrying???
What you describe is a bird that is not feeling well.
I would check her crop, poop and weight.

Back
Top Bottom