STEVE..oh STEEEEEVE.. I gots a question

toredano

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Grainger County,TN
I lucked into 3 little Midget White poults..
Anything different from my Royal Palm? As far as rasing them or feeding them? I read up a little about them but seems everything is the same? I know with them having a RP buddy there is a chance of them interbreeding.. should I let them or not ?

He has also some Bronze poults from the Kardosh line but they way to big for my taste..way way too big..lol
Thanks

Petra

Hi, I'm not Steve but I don't think he is on here anymore, his wife is tho.
From what I've read up on them there is very little difference except size. They need the same type diet and health issues.

I have MW and BB's together at this point, but if I was to keep all of them, I would have to separate them as the standard sized turkeys could break the hens backs. Atleast that is what I understand.

The BB's are so much friendlier then the MW's at this point, recieved in July at 1 day olds. The MW's have been choosing their 'girls' already- who'da thunk it! they were all strutting at 1 week old!
Good luck and I'll be looking forward to what anothers answers will be.

Thanks guys
smile.png

I really didnt think there would be a difference but never hurts to ask:)
Now something different ...

My RP poult is way way slower than these tho. These 3 babys are so curious, more active and way more alert.

My RP poult..( now about 3 months old or so) is very odd.
He /she was and is beeing raised with the Guinea fowls. ( 11 of them)
He /she goes out with them during the day.
So far he/she has not clucked or gobbled once. Only peeps or does these low purr sounds
He darts around like the guineas. Sneaks like they do when they see a predator bird above or just plops down and looks up into the sky.
He tries to fly like them but is so awkward right now he just does the run/flap thing behind them
He absolutly freaks out if they go out of sight from him
Only seen him/her strut like 10 times and then does this kinda wing spread over their heads .. like he is is shielding them or trying to pose for them.
I have laughed so hard watching that dumb bird that i actually have pee`d myself.
We think he is confused and thinks he is a guinea and is not learning his turkey manners.
He is really dumb and slow.
We have a theory that when we got him he was really in bad shape. he was not beeing cared for the right way. Very lethargic, cold, and very tiny and not fully feathered out but not under a lamp and stuff..
So maybe he got a bit stunted or just lacked something while he was very young .
Or he got dropped on his head..
big_smile.png

But he keeps us laughing everyday and we love him.

Then a few days ago he allmost got pecked to death by my 3 hens ..Now his neck is purple. green, blue and red from the hematoma he had. He is so bruised his neck looks the color of a guinea neck.
Now at least he fits in better.
I need to see if I can get a short video of him tomorow .. Its hard to explain but we really think he is not all there .
Or am I expecting to much from a turkey? the other 3 babys are way different than he ever was at their age.

It sounds like your turkey has some issues! You might want to pen him separately from the other birds if he cannot defend himself. Those hens will likely kill him if they can, especially if he has bruises. It's not good to see a turkey suffer, even if he is a bit "slow". And it might not be slow, it might be like you said, just trying to be a guinea.

Back
Top Bottom