Stiff toe?

Swampy_9

Chirping
Apr 3, 2023
I feel as if this roosters causing me more medical scares then anything.

See this rooster he's a big guy. I honestly couldn't tell you what type he is. But he's big maybe like 8 or 9 pounds of just bulk.

He's always limped I've noticed since keeping him out. Even as a chick he's never been great at not like stumbling

Today I went to go look at his toes again given he ripped a nail off. And noticed he's been favoring the broken nail over his other foot.

I went to touch it and it appears just a little more swollen then the others though not by much. And it's stiff that he wouldn't let me touch it.

I went ahead and attached a picture but it looks like his scales are slowly falling off and he has two scabs?

He's had bumble foot before and thankfully it's gone now but is like bumble toe a thing?

It looks almost like it. I'm sorry it's not the greatest picture since it's the only way I could get a photo. But do I treat it the same?

I did the same things of cleaning it off, spraying it with vetericyn. Put some prid drawing salve and some triple antibiotic before gauzing it and wrapping it.

Should I treat it another way? Luckily it's just his toe and not his entire foot and after wrapping it he almost seemed not to limp as bad.

But again he's always had a limp

Attachments

• 20240222_161118.jpg
    20240222_161118.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240222_161124.jpg
    20240222_161124.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240222_161131.jpg
    20240222_161131.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 6
Omg his face in the background!!

I think cleaning it up, the antibiotic cream and keeping it covered and protected is a good way to go about it. The toe looks very swollen. You can give him the warm epsom foot bath before you dress it for a couple of nights which will help ease the swelling.

Are his toes usually in proper alignment? Do you have a lot of high roosts or perches? Maybe he’s just too big and more prone to injury.

Omg his face in the background!!

I think cleaning it up, the antibiotic cream and keeping it covered and protected is a good way to go about it. The toe looks very swollen. You can give him the warm epsom foot bath before you dress it for a couple of nights which will help ease the swelling.

Are his toes usually in proper alignment? Do you have a lot of high roosts or perches? Maybe he’s just too big and more prone to injury.
he's had it with me putting him belly up

ill try to do the bath when its a little warmer. I noticed his outward facing toes do curl a little more than the others but not my much. He doesnt roost. I've tried to get him to roost on my flat wide and lowest roost but he just wont do it at all. Tough he's never had a problem getting on it.

He does like a small hop on it decides he doesn't like and gets off. I know he's does jump a lot from the not so high places too. But ill have to keep cleaning it then. And hopefully it wont get bad. Is there a specific antibiotic cream i should get him?

Back
Top Bottom