Story

New Hampshire

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 1, 2014
New Hampshire
This is my story of my chicken Fluffy.

I got Fluffy and another chicken in the summer of 2010 from some people who no longer wanted them. She was a pearl white leghorn. On the first day that I got her, I realized that she was a badass. We think that she was about 10 years old, but she acted like she was in her prime. The day she arrived, one of our chickens attacked her. Fluffy fought back and won against a chicken who was less than half her age, and after that, no chicken ever pecked her again. Fluffy quickly became the leader of the flock.
The other chicken that came to live with us was Anna, who was always being beaten up by one chicken. One day, when Fluffy saw Anna being beaten up, Fluffy beat up the bully.
Fluffy was always the fastest hen. She could outrun all of the other hens. She laid an egg for us almost every day. It was like she just refused to let the fact that she was ancient affect her in any way.
On June 24, 2011, there was a fox attack. All of the other chickens ran beyond the chicken coup and into the woods behind our house. Not Fluffy, instead of running with the crowd and having the fox chase the whole flock, she stood her ground. The fox attacked her, but she was able to escape from it's grasp. She then ran the other way across the road and into the woods beyond and away from the rest of the flock, and lured the fox away from all of the other hens. She made it about 1/8 of a mile before it finally caught her. We searched, but we were never able to find her. She had sacrificed herself and taken one for the team. She was fast, good to the other hens, a good layer, a genius, and a great hen.

Here she is (the white one):

Last edited:
Wow, what a great story! I am so sorry for your loss. But she was an amazing bird that you will always remember!

I never really realized chickens thought like that and were so smart until I got some. Fluffy was very smart and heroic. It is so sad and amazing how she sacrificed herself for her flock. You are lucky to have had a hen like that.

Back
Top Bottom