Strange behavior?

AmeliaBedelia

Crowing
Jan 23, 2021
Georgia, USA
Just got new baby chicks, and the SLW has started scream-peeping whenever I leave the room for too long. Or at least that's the only reason I can figure out. If I come back and say hi, she calms down and goes back under her mama heating pad with her friends. So I'm assuming my absence was the issue? Is that probably what it is, even after just a few hours at our house?

If so, is that normal or something I should address before I have a chicken-stalker?

Photo of the offender just because of cuteness.

Attachments

• 20210201_131103.jpg
    20210201_131103.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 6
Awww :love . Yeah, it does sound like she's convinced you're her mother hen, and abandoning her when you walk away. Despite being absolutely adorable, I can imagine that getting old real fast.

Good thing she's adorable! That also makes me feel a bit better about her running toward me more than the others...was a bit worried she was a "he."

One of my chicks used to act like that, but she was by herself in the brooder. Long story, but after a few days we got four more chicks from TSC for playmates for her.

Yes, unless you want to keep letting her train to appear by screaming.
I just yell SHUTUP very loudly from upstairs.
I love it.
It's really pretty funny, I could peek it from top of stairs.
Everyone underneath near dark, except for one Loud Mouth standing on top of heater sounding off.
I yell SHUTUP or GOTOBED, LM startles and scrambles underneath, rinse and repeat.
Took 2-3 yells to end it.

...today I caught the Orpington yell-peeping for me...:lau. Started making like a game-show buzzer type sound when they do that and they are 100% fine, and that seems to be helping.

I'm glad they like me though, haha.

Back
Top Bottom