Strange Mourning Dove Behavior

Viirin

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2023
I have this dove that hangs out with me every day, but I've finally decided that there might be something wrong with her. If she was a human, I'd say she might just have tourette's syndrome. Can birds get that neurological issue? Anyway, what the bird does.

She is always whining all the time, and doesn't sing, and she half-flaps her wings, always. They never stop moving, unlike the other doves who are more than happy to just sit next to me with their wings at rest. You know that half-flap that birds sometimes do when they don't have good talon grip on stuff? She does that, but doesn't raise her wings as far.

None of my birds are comfortable enough with me shoving a camera in their face to record video (they're all wild), but I have my webcam set up at a good angle. If anyone was watching on my discord, they could see her when she shows up to analyze. Could anyone help, or does she even need any?

I was able to get a screenshot of her with her wings at the high point of her half-flaps.

Attachments

• Whiney.png
    Whiney.png
    215.1 KB · Views: 10
That sounds like baby begging behavior. Any chance she's still a juvenile not quite weaned? During weaning the babies get pretty hungry and it's not unusual to see them lifting and quivering to flapping their wings even when moms not right there.

Editing to add that the vocalizations you describe fit with baby begging behavior as well.

That sounds like baby begging behavior. Any chance she's still a juvenile not quite weaned? During weaning the babies get pretty hungry and it's not unusual to see them lifting and quivering to flapping their wings even when moms not right there.

Editing to add that the vocalizations you describe fit with baby begging behavior as well.
I just watched her for the last two hours, and she showed me something that fits your question! I never saw her by herself before, and today I did. She doesn't whine when other doves are around, and actually sits still (besides pecking at the seed I give her flock). Her other family members didn't act like this over the last few years, so I guess she's just immature?

I just watched her for the last two hours, and she showed me something that fits your question! I never saw her by herself before, and today I did. She doesn't whine when other doves are around, and actually sits still (besides pecking at the seed I give her flock). Her other family members didn't act like this over the last few years, so I guess she's just immature?
Hungry baby! She might be a tad younger or a slower learner. If your lucky you'll get to see her mom feed her. ❤️ She's not starving or she'd be pestering random adults hoping they'll feed her. That she goes quiet and pecks food around the adults says she's learning well. Juveniles watch the adults to learn what's edible and eat best when they're with adults that are eating.

Hungry baby! She might be a tad younger or a slower learner. If your lucky you'll get to see her mom feed her. ❤️ She's not starving or she'd be pestering random adults hoping they'll feed her. That she goes quiet and pecks food around the adults says she's learning well. Juveniles watch the adults to learn what's edible and eat best when they're with adults that are eating.
Monkey see, monkey do! Also birds.

Back
Top Bottom