Stray cockerel trying to join my flock

Compost-sniffer

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2022
Hi everybody!

A couple of days ago this mysterious barred rock showed up on my property. I've asked around to my closest neighbors, but none of them have lost a chicken. We never see it coming or going, so I'm not sure where it's roosting. It just seems to materialize in the morning out of nowhere to chat up my hens.

So I guess it's mine now? I was planning to do some chicken breeding this season, but I already have a really well behaved rooster. I'm not too keen on upsetting the dynamic right before starting my little project.

If I keep him. What is the best way to keep him from pestering my breeders? I have a smaller grow out coop near my main coop, but would he really do well all by himself?

How should I get rid of him if I choose not to keep him? I'm not keen on eating mysterious forest chicken. Maybe call the Humane Society?

Any advice is welcome.

Attachments

• 20220505_092759.jpg
    20220505_092759.jpg
    792 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220505_092840.jpg
    20220505_092840.jpg
    748.1 KB · Views: 6
Not a Barred Rock(Single Barred), he's most likely a Black Sex-link.

Rehome if you don't wanna eat him. You can set up an Ad here, or Craigslist. But someone may have other options.

I'd check out Nextdoor.com for your neighborhood, see if anyone posted about missing a roo. Alternatively, start a post looking to rehome. Could additionally start a thread in https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing.16182/ on the off chance that someone here wants him.

Facebook and Craigslist might be a decent option as well. Probably won't find the owner through these two, but might find someone to take him in.

If you end up keeping him, I know you mentioned the grow-out coop - is this coop/run visible to the coop/run of your other group? If they can chatter through a fence, that might be enough for socialization, but I would probably try to get him some flock mates over time.

He would be able to see the others in the smaller coop. Maybe I could give him the less stellar specimens from my project if I decide to keep him.

I'll check on nextdoor. I'd hate to just keep him without trying to find where he came from. How likely is it that someone is looking for him? Like, if he's a sex link, it's unlikely he's somebody's prized pet, right?

He would be able to see the others in the smaller coop. Maybe I could give him the less stellar specimens from my project if I decide to keep him.

I'll check on nextdoor. I'd hate to just keep him without trying to find where he came from. How likely is it that someone is looking for him? Like, if he's a sex link, it's unlikely he's somebody's prized pet, right?
He may have came from someone's order of Sex links, & got a male by mistake, & dumped him near by.

Back
Top Bottom