Stress Causing low egg production?

RawDaddy

Chirping
Aug 20, 2021
Castro Valley, CA
Reading through some of the posts on lower egg production, I noticed stress was a major factor. We have 10 mixed breed chickens, all see very healthy. We had been getting 6-8 eggs a day. About 6 weeks ago we introduced 3 duck hens to the backyard. They seem to get along fairly well. Fairly well meaning there’s no fighting, but it’s not like they sitting around the coop singing Koombyya either. Since the ducks had been introduced their egg production has dropped to 2-4 eggs a day. They get organic layer feed, plus I give them a cup of dried meal worms and a cup of bird seed every other day. And that goes to all 13 birds. My question is could the introduction of the ducks to the backyard be the cause, or should I start looking around the yard for a stash of eggs somewhere? Any thoughts on what can be done? Your assistance is always grateful.

That might have impacted production since birds hate change, but I would also start looking for a hidden stash. How old are your hens? They may just be entering a molt and normal break in their laying cycle. Heat stress may also be a factor.
They are all about 16-18 months. Four of them are Polish, not big egg layers to begin with. It hasn’t been that hot. Nothing in the triple digits yet. I gotta say, the ducks are messy, water needs to be changed on a daily instead of every other or every third day, wondering if that was part of the problem

or should I start looking around the yard for a stash of eggs somewhere? Any thoughts on what can be done?
Yes.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I gotta say, the ducks are messy,
Yes, yes they are.
Best to keep them separate from chickens.

Yes.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Yes, yes they are.
Best to keep them separate from chickens.
So when the kids got back from vacation, I had them scour the back yard for more eggs. Sure enough they found a few dozen in the duck house nesting boxes. Ducks are quite old enough to start laying, about another month. Problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom