Stressed out pullet.

lagrange chicks

Songster
Jul 27, 2023
Wisconsin
So my 26 week old easter egger pullet has been laying shell less eggs which I am starting to think is from stress. She was pretty sick last week. She has always been low in pecking order and basically a loner. My flock is an easter egger cockerel, 2 easter egger pullets and 5 barred rock pullets. I've seen the cockerel mate her before she was sick but now she does everything she can to keep away from him to the point of me being worried she will break her neck flying into something. There are a couple barred rocks that go after her also and it has gotten to the point where she doesn't want to be by any of the flock mates unless it's sitting on a roost. I have 3 feeders and waters spread around the 5 foot x 21foot coop and run. When she goes to eat a barred rock will see her and go investigate and the easter egger gets the heck out of there just thinking she may get picked at (she is terrified of being pecked at). I have thought about separating her but worried it might be worse putting her back with the rest of the flock. Also I thought of giving her own small coop and run but worry she won't survive a Wisconsin winter by her self. Not sure what to do with her at this point. I wish she would stand up to the barred rocks but she doesn't have a mean bone in here body. Let me know what you would do? Thanks.

Why was she sick? Oftentimes other members of the flock will go after one that is unwell, even after they get better that behavior can become habit. Also if she's just really docile and the rest are more assertive there may be no cure for those behavior issues and you might have to consider rehoming. If she is still unwell in some way then I would separate her till she's better and if she's getting chased off the feed she may need time to put on some weight too.
If she's not still sick maybe there's a way you can just partition off a section in the run with her own food and water so they can't get at her then let her roost with them at night to try and reset the flock dynamic. That may work better than removing her completely. If that doesn't work you can try removing her for a few days then reintroducing, see if that resets the pecking order a little. Not sure this will help but worth a try rather than her being stressed all the time.

She has been laying shell less eggs, when she 1st started laying some shelled eggs were really big so I thought she may be egg bound since I had not seen any eggs from her and she was real slow would not eat. She was sickly for 2 days, the 3rd day she laid another shell less egg. I am starting to think maybe she got hurt trying to get away from the cockerel, he gave her a break when she was sick but chases her hard again now. Thanks for the ideas.

Back
Top Bottom