Stressed poults! Help!

People should truly do quite a bit of research prior to getting turkeys, no disrespect intended as I was guilty of that myself before. I have had chickens all my life and had ducks as a kid. Well you can't kill a duck unless you're really aiming to from my experience and I've always done well with chickens so I thought turkeys wouldn't be any different. I was wrong. I'm sure I did everything wrong when I was a kid and all my ducks lived. Turkeys are another creature entirely and are very tender when young but get more robust as they mature. I've learned the hard way and it was heartbreaking.

I truly hope your poults do well and the poorly one recovers. Be mindful of blackhead also that may be transmitted to turkeys from the ground where other poultry have been that may be asymptomatic carriers. It may not be an issue in your area (it is in my area). Best of luck to you! Post back with updates as I would love to know how they do.
Dang… now I feel bad for getting them before fully researching. Thank you for your help!! I really appreciate it.

Maybe recommending a more appropriate bedding instead of burning me at the stake might be more helpful.
I haven't had issues with pine shavings, but a lot of other people seem to. Sand makes great bedding, straw is alright, and paper towels (not newspaper) work well too.

I haven't had issues with pine shavings, but a lot of other people seem to. Sand makes great bedding, straw is alright, and paper towels (not newspaper) work well too.
I'm going to keep on keeping on with the pine shavings just because that's what we have on hand now. If I ever have issues with it I may eat my words, but all is well for now and that's all I've used. I may invest invest in some grit for them. Typically I don't give grit to youngsters because starter is soluble in water and turns into a mash in their digestive system without need for any grit. Thank you for your helpful response. I have used straw as bedding in a pinch when I was out of pine shavings but I'm not crazy about using it for babies. May look into sand though, that's interesting.

I'm going to keep on keeping on with the pine shavings just because that's what we have on hand now. If I ever have issues with it I may eat my words, but all is well for now and that's all I've used. I may invest invest in some grit for them. Typically I don't give grit to youngsters because starter is soluble in water and turns into a mash in their digestive system without need for any grit. Thank you for your helpful response. I have used straw as bedding in a pinch when I was out of pine shavings but I'm not crazy about using it for babies. May look into sand though, that's interesting.
How did they do? Im following this thread because I recently bought turkeys. I did my research, had the brooder box set up with nonslip surface which was a good contrast for feed. Im struggling to keep them warm. My thermometer says 101 but they are huddles together like they are freezing.
Hope yours did ok.

How did they do? Im following this thread because I recently bought turkeys. I did my research, had the brooder box set up with nonslip surface which was a good contrast for feed. Im struggling to keep them warm. My thermometer says 101 but they are huddles together like they are freezing.
Hope yours did ok.
You need to measure the temperature at the bedding level. 101°F is way too hot.

I start my poults at 90°F measured at the bedding level.

Just thought I’d update: All 10 are still doing great. Growing like weeds 😂
I can’t wait to see how many are males and how many are females. At what age will I be able to tell? Here’s a picture of my crazy lol Turks 🥰
0D50B52E-51DC-4147-B2A3-E63D4EE15EC8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom